PDA

View Full Version : Bobolink male

John Chardine
05-30-2010, 09:40 AM
These are difficult photographic subjects because of the high-contrast plumage. I was lucky to have the sun go in behind the clouds a few times and reduce this problem a little. Image made at Sackville, NB. I initially used some recorded song to find the bird, but then he just went about his business doing what male songbirds do this time of year- singing, defending his territory, singing, eating, singing. You get the picture.

I cloned out some OOF perch material, dodged the eye highlight, ran NR on the BG.

Date: 29 May, 2010, Time: 13:42h
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x @ 700 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 400, 1/640s, f/7.1
Exp. comp.: -0.3 (mistake- I had this set when the sun was out to avoid blowing highlights)
Flash: no flash

Indranil Sircar
05-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Excellent composition, John. This is my first time seeing a bobolink. I like the look back pose. Good exposure given the contrast of the plumage. TFS

Deborah Hanson
05-30-2010, 12:04 PM
The colors are wonderful and the details in the blacks, whites, and feathers are great. Like the pose and perch.
For me - a difficult bird to get. They don't stick around for the photos.:)
Deb

Dave Hassell
05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Excellent exposure and composition and I like the 'over the shoulder' look.

Bill Dix
05-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi John. Great shot of a tough bird - I find they usually pop up suddenly and then disappear just as quickly back into the grass, out of sight. Well exposed and great look-back pose.

Linda Dulak
05-30-2010, 03:14 PM
John: this bird is on my list to photograph. They sometimes stop by on their migration. We have 11 acres of meadow and they will stop for as long as a week at a time. Unfortunately they haven't been seen the last few years.

Lovely photo with good detail in both white and black. I love the look back pose.

John Chardine
05-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks to all! Bobolinks are listed as "Threatened" in Canada; not sure of the listing in the US. Like many grassland species they are declining and it's easy to see why. "My" Bobolink here is nesting in a beautiful hayfield and the grass is knee-deep right now. It won't be long before the hay is cut and any nest with be destroyed.

I was very cautious with this bird and I know (trust me on this) that I will be the only person to photograph this bird this year. He nests right next to a trail but the people back and forth pose no threat to him and his mate and nest.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-30-2010, 05:13 PM
I like the look-back pose, clean BG and perch and might crop it more as a vertical.

A friend of mine works for an agriculture agency. They pay farmers to not cut the grass before the grassland birds successfully nested. Sounds like a great idea to me.

I remember reading that many Bobolinks have neurological issues because of the use of pesticides further south that are not allowed here anymore.

Gary Irwin
05-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks to all! Bobolinks are listed as "Threatened" in Canada; not sure of the listing in the US. Like many grassland species they are declining and it's easy to see why. "My" Bobolink here is nesting in a beautiful hayfield and the grass is knee-deep right now. It won't be long before the hay is cut and any nest with be destroyed.

There's a Bobolink hay field in our City as well (London, ON)...because of the early spring I fear the farmer will be harvesting earlier than ever. What a shame. I remember visiting the field last year immediately after the first cut (mid July) and saw several Bobolinks sitting on the rows of to-be-bailed hay probably wondering what the heck just happened.

Mike Milicia
05-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Great to see the detail on the back with the look back pose.
Lovely perch and BG and exposure looks great.

Wouldn't mind seeing more perch at bottom and a bit less negative space at top.

Grace Scalzo
05-31-2010, 10:30 AM
John, Such a beautiful image. I'm sure having it in your files means alot to you. Thank you for sharing it. Even before I read your words, I sensed your personal connection to your subject. (Maybe the eye contact)

Daniel Cadieux
05-31-2010, 02:05 PM
John, this is a perfect look at the back part of it's "backwards" plumage (pale above, dark below). Love the pose and perch...not to mention the BG. I agree with Mike's comp suggestion.

We have the same problem here in regards to the fields being cut right in the middle of nesting season. I'm not sure if any of the new generations of Bobolinks are making it at this particular location...same goes for Savannah Sparrows (although they are quite abundant elsewher too), Meadowlarks, Uplands Sandpipers...:(

Jim Crosswell
05-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Beautiful image John. I like the pose, perch and clen BG. Well done!

John Chardine
06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks again to all! I'll try the suggested crop.

BTW have a look here:

http://vtecostudies.blogspot.com/2010/06/bobolink-listed-as-threatened-in-canada.html

Daniel Cadieux
06-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the link, John. I also like the articles about the recovered Bobolink attached with a tracking device...I'll look forward to see that information once analyzed!