PDA

View Full Version : Moonset in Madikwe

Morkel Erasmus
05-30-2010, 08:36 AM
This is the last of my night-series (for now ;)) and also my last post in the BPN Landscapes Gallery for about 2 weeks since we are off in about 30hrs for a 2-week foray into the Kalahari...you can imagine that I am excited about that!

This was taken in the Madikwe Game Reserve earlier this month. We were out before sunrise to go and capture said sunrise, but stopped along the way to our location for this one. It's a blend of 2 exposures - one for the sky and moon and one for the tree (which was painted with a torch). I also used the full-res moon for web posting as it was looking a little too small for my tastes due to the ultra-wide angle used here. I've got versions with the tree left silhouetted but quite liked this one.

All comments most welcome. Keep posting some belting landscape photos in my absence!

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f11 @ ISO-250 (longest exposure 5s)
Kenko pro CPL

Dave Mills
05-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Morkel, I like the softly lit tree along with a well placed moon. The graduated sky is also very appealing.
For my taste I would do a bit of cropping. I would crop about half the black area on the bottom and small bits off the top(a little under your name) and right.

Don Lacy
05-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi Morkel, Really like the placement of the tree and moon in the image, I think Dave's suggestion for a crop mirrors mine on thought.

Harold Davis
05-30-2010, 05:41 PM
nicely done, morkel!! i wonder if a LCE might sharpen that moon? i like the crop suggestions too. i really like this. nice gradations in the sky and the warm horizon is nice.

Hilary Hann
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Morkel, like the way you've put this together. Very nice tones and colours and delicate light on tree is beautiful. Would agree with cropping suggestions. Have a great fortnight and bring back lots of wonderful landscapes for us to enjoy. :)

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey Morkel,
Can't add much to the above but agree with Harold.....try sharpening that moon a touch more. Very well thought out and composed.

Morkel Erasmus
05-31-2010, 03:23 PM
thanks a lot guys!! will give a rework when back - leaving soon and gotta get some shut-eye!

Kobus Tollig
06-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Great shot here Buddy. I agree with Dave's crop suggestion

Morkel Erasmus
06-13-2010, 03:44 AM
thanks Kobus!