PDA

View Full Version : An Evening of Connection....

David Roach
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I took a trip to Merritt Island NWR just to see this threatened beauty (Florida Scrub Jay)!! I had wanted to have a first hand experience with these threatened birds ever since hearing of their plight years ago. It seems we (homo sapiens) share an attraction to high dry land in Florida. This has left these beauties with ever decreasing habitat. I walked 3/4 of the scrub trail before spotting one. Then suddenly there were several all around me. As I walked the trail, they flew ahead as if to want to stay with me. One actually landed on my head! I was not baiting or calling these beauties and these birds are totally wild!! What an evening for my first encounter!! Hopefully we can find our way to leave enough habitat to improve their threatened status.
1DMKIIN 400DO ISO 640 F10@1/200

REPOSTED per Artie's comments below.

Daniel Cadieux
03-02-2008, 04:11 PM
From what I've read about the Scrub Jays they have the same behaviour as the Gray Jays that I've seen at Algonquin Park - fearless of man and very curious by nature...sort of like large chickadees :-) Although I like this image I'd rather see one with the tail, as this is one of the more prominent features of this species.

Jim Poor
03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Nice portrait. Glad you had a great first encounter with them.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a great experience. Maybe they expected some food donations, peanuts or so. :) I might go for a closer portrait crop or include the tail (if you have). I might clone out the blade of grass at the bottom.

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Beautiful lighting and wonderful detail David. I agree with Axel's suggestion on cropping or including the tail. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I pretty much like it as is but for the grass and the little black thingies in the llc on the frame edge. Nice BKGR; you migh wish to QM some plum colored stuff over the white above the bird.

later and love, artie

David Roach
03-02-2008, 08:11 PM
As always, thanks for the great suggestions. I do obviously have others with that long tail. This is about an 80% crop with some off the top and left side. I was going for a close up portrait as the sun was low on the horizon. I was off the sun's angle to get the cleaner BG. Luckily this beauty turned just enough to catch the light right on the face.