PDA

View Full Version : Old Naples Pier

Harold Davis
05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
i found this old pier tuesday afternoon in naples. went back last night and worked it. it's was actually nice to have some waves for the first time this week. otherwise, it looked like a giant pond.

D300, 18-200 at 18mm, f/22, 2.5s, ISO 100, double stacked 3 stop GND filters.

critiques and comments much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
05-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey H,
Well looks who's stopping by! Ok....great thought with the ND's as it made the water look great! Here comes the oh, oh.....I think you should have gone tighter.....why?....the RH side pilings from the middle of the frame on start to merge and become uninteresting. Had you had a great sky....aka the higher clouds were closer to the horizon.....the merge may have been acceptable.....but as I look at this I find the left 1/2 of the image interesting...not so much even the red clouds as there is too much seperation.....tighter on the 1/2 of the piling with the pastel clouds near the horizon would have made a stronger comp IMO....make sense? You are nailing the exposure and thinking of the scene.....just hope you did a bit of zooming with that lens!

Harold Davis
05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
no worries my dear landscape moderator.:D i have eight more compositions. and i didnt start with my favorite one. i thought there was something wrong here. just want sure what. now i know!

thanks, RK.

Dave Mills
05-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi Harold, Roman said it all for me. What I noticed most when I looked at the image was the large separation between the upper clouds and the pilings. Light is beautiful along with the soft water.
Curious to see your favorite comp...