PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning Zebra

Ken Watkins
05-29-2010, 03:22 AM
Well not that early 06.47 around 30 minutes after sunrise. Taken in Savute, Botswana 5th May 2010

There is another Zebra in the BG, I looked at cloning it out but it was much too complicated.

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from vehicle

F6.3, ISO 800, 1/100

Alfred Forns
05-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi Ken Not sure about this one? Merges with head and the bg zebra Does have sweet light but sure you could have captured a different bg !!! ... sharp for the low shutter speed !!!

John Chardine
05-29-2010, 06:40 PM
I love this one Ken. The warm light, the Zebra pattern, and the background all work so well together.

So I'll bring up the dreaded topic of head-angle. I'm not much at the Wildlife forum and I'm not sure how much "regulars" here worry about this. Anyway if the Zebra were a bird and this were posted in Avian, someone, or two, or three, would bring up head angle. For me I like the head angle as presented but elsewhere you would hear that it would be better if the animal had a small CCW rotation of the head so that it was angled a little towards you. I understand the Avian argument, but this image works so well that I am beginning to think that the principal does carry beyond birds to mammals and indeed other organisms. I am interested in what others think.

Harshad Barve
05-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Love the light here Ken , absolute gold
TFS

So I'll bring up the dreaded topic of head-angle. I'm not much at the Wildlife forum and I'm not sure how much "regulars" here worry about this. Anyway if the Zebra were a bird and this were posted in Avian, someone, or two, or three, would bring up head angle. For me I like the head angle as presented but elsewhere you would hear that it would be better if the animal had a small CCW rotation of the head so that it was angled a little towards you. I understand the Avian argument, but this image works so well that I am beginning to think that the principal does carry beyond birds to mammals and indeed other organisms. I am interested in what others think.

for me , moment , lighting , conditions and animal ( even birds ) are more important than HA for sure , I may take mating tiger image if they are showing me back :p ( though I have get mating image yet )
HAP here in wildlife do not issue ticket most of the time for sure :D:D

Alfred Forns
05-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Great points John I didn't pay much attention to the head angle either, my main concern had to do with bg, more specifically the merges .. I can deal with all the sticks but the other animal is problematic

Going back to the head angle, seems the animal is intent in looking at something and my eyes follow that path.. so no problem on my part !!!

Ken Watkins
05-30-2010, 12:17 AM
John,

I think you have brought up an interesting point, I agree that HA is less important for animals, as has been demonstrated by many prior posts in the wildlife section. A bird flying away or turning its back on you rarely makes a good image, but to my mond as long as you have at least one good eye, then the way they are looking seems less important.

Al,

As you say the BG is a nuisance to say the least, I just loved the colour. Many areas in Africa can be extremely frustrating but as said in recent posts "it is the bush".

Sabyasachi Patra
05-30-2010, 10:09 AM
I like the sweet light. The glint in the eye makes it for me. So I head angle is not an issue here for me. Using a f4 aperture here would have diffused the vegetation a bit, but not much, as it is close to the zebra. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
05-30-2010, 10:10 AM
I like the sweet light. The glint in the eye makes it for me. So I head angle is not an issue here for me. Using a f4 aperture here would have diffused the vegetation a bit, but not much, as it is close to the zebra. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi