PDA

View Full Version : iris 2

Cheryl Flory
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
OK, was outside so I used the tripod on this one....
(oh, yea, and a much larger depth of field. lol)

Canon 40D
Tamron 90mm 2.8 at F22
1/25"
ISO 400
AV
EC +.33

upped clarity in RAW, but other than that, just the usual sharpening and toned down some bright yellow.
I'm not impressed with the "beard" being in the center, but I liked the rest of the image and didn't want to crop any off. lol

suggestions????

Ken Childs
05-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Cheryl, I know you said you didn't want to crop off anything but the beard thingy is the attention grabber in this shot so it might look better if it were closer to a ROT position instead of being in the center. I think the LR position might work well with this shot. You asked about "pop" in another post but I'll answer it here because I think this image could use some "pop". I will usually try either a curves adjustment or play around with the contrast and/or brightness.

Cheryl Flory
05-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Ken,.
what about this?
had to save it at 88% to get it within size limits....

I think it makes the flower look big and klutzy. what do you think?

Julie Kenward
05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
:DI think it's a little too tight in the repost, Cheryl but you nailed the two things I was thinking: that there was too much purple at the bottom and I didn't like the partial petals on the right edge. I'd give it half way up the purple and just clone over those partial petals or take a small slice off the right to get rid of them.

I like your control of the yellows - they look very nice. I would probably like to see more DOF on the front petal as it gets close to the beard and then a little more sharpness on the beard as well. Very nice for someone who's had a new lens less than a week, though! You go, girl! :D

Roman Kurywczak
05-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Hey Cheryl,
Here's my take on it.....I used selective color on your OP.....in the yellows, removing a bit of black and adding black to cyan, blue, neutrals, and black and then removing black in the white channel. Toned down the brightness a few points and added 2 points of contrast. Finally ran noise ninja on the yellow area.
Let me know your thoughts!
PS I may bring up the cnetral whites a bit more still.

Cheryl Flory
05-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Roman, I think it is a great improvement. thank you for taking the time to work on it and especially explaining your process! I appreciate it.