PDA

View Full Version : High Key Columbine

Roman Kurywczak
05-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Well.....my Columbine are out again this year...one of my favorite flowers! I think the high key shows off the delicate shapes and textures best but I have tried this with many other BG's....both natural and pseudo natural.
Natural light, outdooors purposefuly overexposed 2 stops against white/grey sky with the Canon 1D Mark lll and the Sigma 180mm macro at f29 for 1/125 sec and ISO 1000 with the MT24 twin lights at plus 2.....all hand held, manually focused.

Julie Kenward
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Beautiful! These are one of my favorites as well. ;) I do think it's a little close to the edge of the frame on the right side but I know how you are about your close crops so we'll just let that one slide... :D

I am wondering, though, if the whites and purples of the flower could be a bit brighter - they feel just a touch drab (at least on my work monitor - we shall see when I get home!) Maybe a slight curves tweak?

Thomas Herou
05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Very nice!
Well done!

OvidiuCavasdan
05-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I like the high key, excellent DOF and details, nice comp.

Cheryl Flory
05-28-2010, 03:56 PM
yes, very well done!
all that set up work was worth it!

Grahame Hamblin
05-28-2010, 03:59 PM
love it back to taking pictures

Ken Childs
05-28-2010, 04:00 PM
A perfect subject for high key, IMHO! I agree with Jules that it looks a bit tight on the right but all it needs it just a sliver more space. The whites and purples do look a bit flat. If that's what the flower really looks like or that's what you were going for than that's fine but if it were mine, I do something to give them a little more pop.

Cheryl Flory
05-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Ken and Julie, how would you give it more "pop"?

Roman Kurywczak
05-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks all,
You know I like them tight.....but an easy fix if I go that way:D......this Columbines colors are a bit softer but as it was high key, I went with the softer look.
Cheryl, I can add more color in H/S or selective color or even lowering the brightness and upping some contrast......many ways to get to that end!
Thanks again and now I'm off to work on the Memorial Day Challenge!

Bob Miller
06-01-2010, 12:00 AM
HI Roman...I just think this an exceptional image....one of my very favorites....Congrats! I like the softness of the colors.

Anita Bower
06-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Lovely image. I like the way it turned out by having the sky as a bg. I agree with Jules' comments.