PDA

View Full Version : Oophaga pumilio

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Good morning everyone!

One more poison-dart frog from my last frog series.
I hope you are not getting tired of frogs...:)

While I like to see sometimes, images of frogs with part of their bodies out of focus, I prefer to see it %100 focused. That's for now, may be Greg Basco will make me change my mind as he is a not only a professional photographer but also has a good artistic eye! we will see what happens!

Canon 30D
Canon 100mm macro
ISO 800
AV
HH
FF
SS 1/15
f/5.6
External flash -3
0 Exp. comp.

Minor PS work, some selective color, and sharpening for web display.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
05-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey Juan Carlos,
I think yo handled the exposure pretty well as the frog has a very shiny/reflective surface.....so any more power on the flash and you would have had many more highlights. I do think you need to lighten the image a bit overall though perhaps in levels. In the field, I wish you had taken a small step left to aim a touch more right....getting the frog mostly on the leaf...as presented now, I would take a bit off the top to minimize the brown area in the ULC. If you aren't against such things....you could also fill it in with the lovely green and then crop. Oveall, a very beautiful species so just a little PP'ing tweaks will take this to its full potential.

Julie Kenward
05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I agree with Roman - I think you handled the exposure in the field well but it could use a little lightness to it. I also find the ULC and the middle left side a bit distracting. I wish the whole frame were filled with that beautiful green!

OvidiuCavasdan
05-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Beautiful little frog. Very nice colors, agree about lightening a bit and maybe some work on left side of the frame.

Ken Childs
05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Roman and Jules have already made the suggestions that I would have. This looks OK now but with a bit of tweaking, this could look fantastic. :)

Thomas Herou
05-28-2010, 05:26 PM
What a fantastic frog!
Superb colors!

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree with Roman - I think you handled the exposure in the field well but it could use a little lightness to it. I also find the ULC and the middle left side a bit distracting. I wish the whole frame were filled with that beautiful green!
Hello Julie, now that you mention the brown leaf, I also believe that is a bit distracting but with this picture I wanted to evoke what one finds in the rain forest floor...usually only 20% of the sunlight hits the ground, so can you imagine how dark the forest floor can be? I know that for photography purposes is better to have a clean BG, and don't get me wrong, I love clean BGs, but as I say, I wanted to reproduce somewhat what one finds in the tropical America. I will have to go back to the Caribbean side and shoot this fellow again! I love it any ways and this time I will be take on count your and other fellow's advise which I find very helpful and is always welcome as I am learning from all of you.:)

Alfred Forns
05-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I can't get over the color for these guys !! High impact and one fine image Juan Carlos !!!