PDA

View Full Version : Do you bracket?

Desmond Chan
05-27-2010, 11:31 PM
How many of you bracket when you shoot?

I'm watching "A Day with Jay Maisel" on Kelby Training. It shows Jay and Kelby taking street photos in the streets of New York and, of course, Jay talks about his approach: shoot in burst mode and bracket (all the time if my impression is correct). And he shoots at ISO 1600. Hmm...interesting and may even try it.

Alfred Forns
05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Hi Desmond !!

Seldom have to bracket sine obtaining an exposure within one third is the norm but would not be opposed under certain circumstances ... btw in the film days we never bracketed .. good photographers never did that they just gave themselves alternate exposures :D:)

Sabyasachi Patra
05-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't bracket. Do you want the image with the best expression of the tiger or your favourite subject to have less than optimum exposure? obviously not. It has to be right with every expsoure. If I need, to pull up or pull down the exposure beyond 1/3 stop, I feel I didn't do a good job in the first place. When that happens, I remember the situation.

And if you are shooting videos, then there is no bracketing option. ;)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

PS: I see some guys bracketing for creating HDR. Since I am not a HDR fan, I don't do that as well.

Alfred Forns
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
.. HDR would be totally different and would not consider as bracketing .. but it is !!