PDA

View Full Version : SW Florida Update

Harold Davis
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
went to little estero on sunday afternoon to find nada. i think i may have seen one tricolor. after that, i didnt even bother checking the beach for shorebirds as it was fairly windy. i'm sure there are nesting terns out there because i saw the roped off areas.

checked out ding on monday morning. we were the first car in. first pool held one spoonie which we passed on. the second pool held one spoonie in some nice light. as soon as we stopped the car, on the opposite side of the road, it took off. the third pool held about 15 egrets close. so we stopped there, on the opposite side of the road and a little past them. as we were assembling the gear, one-by-one they all left. so ding was a bust after all the great reports that i had read the previous two weeks.

blind pass, also nada.

so i have a friend that maintains the grounds at south seas resort. i called him up just to visit. we road the golf course, which borders the beach and redfish pass. i walked out on the beach, which is normally loaded and could not see one bird for as far as i could see. wait, there were two osprey fishing off the beach....but after been to lake blue cypress, WHO CARES!!

so we called up darth/froggie aka james shadle and we set up a trip with him on wednesday aboard the hooptie deux. we ended up meeting fellow BPNer becky fields from MN and we all had a great time. if you want birds, just go out with james. he'll put you on birds all day long!!

Michael Pancier
05-27-2010, 07:47 PM
went to little estero on sunday afternoon to find nada. i think i may have seen one tricolor. after that, i didnt even bother checking the beach for shorebirds as it was fairly windy. i'm sure there are nesting terns out there because i saw the roped off areas.

checked out ding on monday morning. we were the first car in. first pool held one spoonie which we passed on. the second pool held one spoonie in some nice light. as soon as we stopped the car, on the opposite side of the road, it took off. the third pool held about 15 egrets close. so we stopped there, on the opposite side of the road and a little past them. as we were assembling the gear, one-by-one they all left. so ding was a bust after all the great reports that i had read the previous two weeks.

blind pass, also nada.

so i have a friend that maintains the grounds at south seas resort. i called him up just to visit. we road the golf course, which borders the beach and redfish pass. i walked out on the beach, which is normally loaded and could not see one bird for as far as i could see. wait, there were two osprey fishing off the beach....but after been to lake blue cypress, WHO CARES!!

so we called up darth/froggie aka james shadle and we set up a trip with him on wednesday aboard the hooptie deux. we ended up meeting fellow BPNer becky fields from MN and we all had a great time. if you want birds, just go out with james. he'll put you on birds all day long!!

or go to Gatorland....

Larry Frogge
05-28-2010, 04:07 AM
I went to Ding Darling yesterday (Thurs) and found 2 different flocks of Spoonies, 1 with 12 birds, the other with 15. Got there about 8 AM which gave me about 45 minutes shooting time as the tide was coming in. A photographer said that the day before (Wed.) was a bust there. I think 1st time that I was told "shouldn't have been here yesterday!" Stopped at Bunche Beach on the way out and a Reddish Egret flew in and stayed within 30 yards for about an hour on a sandbar. So, all in all it was a fun morning, you just never know!
Larry <><