05-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Nikon D-300
1/30 sec at f16
ISO800
90 mm Tamron Macro 2.8

Eager to learn so all comments welcome!

sandy richards
05-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Bob, great colors! the blue might be a bit over-saturated and over-sharpened....
I really like the unusual detail here, but am not so sure about the centering of the iris "middle".
Moving it a bit to the left might add interest, and would also minimize the lower left dark area which doesn't add anything, as it.

Sandy

Julie Kenward
05-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Bob, did you use a tripod or was this handheld? What kind of lighting situation was this? I'm asking because you have the ISO up to 800 and still only achieved a ss of 1/30th of a second. If this was handheld then that would explain why the center top area of the blue is not in focus while everything else seems to be.

I do like your eye and your attempt at composition is good. You might also try, as Sandy suggested, to scoot the camera a bit to the right so you catch about half of the left side (removing the dark area altogether) and catching more of the side where the leaf has some texture and turn to it. If you want to keep the centered comp, I think either cropping in to remove the dark corner OR adding some dark area to the other side so it is balanced would also work.

Anita Bower
05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
I find the colors and patterns in this to be lovely. Somehow, I'm wanting it to be more blurred, or more in focus--I think.

Bob Miller
05-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments and good suggestions
Julie...I used a tripod but the lighting was shade....I might not have had the camera plane completely parallel to my subject plane:eek:

Roman Kurywczak
05-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Bob,
Very good advice given above especially on the composition part. I will add....don't be afraid of rotating the camera in the field to make more of a diagonal comp.....no one but you will know the orientation of this in the field and I find it is easier than trying to do it in PP'ing. I find the idea very interesting and appealing and I'm going witH Anita....less in focus may have also worked! I saw your explanation on parallel to plane.....critical in these types of situations for max DOF!