PDA

View Full Version : White Crested Helmet Shrike

Michael Hogan
05-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Got this lovely bird in a low bush in Mashatu Botswana. I suppose the question is about the HA. Eye contact is good, got rid of a branch that was coming up over the leg and brestand cropped it a bit. It was early in the morning so lighting was nice.

Thoughts much appriciated

Thanks

Michael

Canon 40D, EF500 (handheld), ISO 200, 1/500 @ f10, AP and pattern metering

Juan Aragonés
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
A more clean BG would be great, of course, and I would love to see the tail of the bird. Light quality and angle are very good and the eye contact is fantastic :)

Randy Stout
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Michael:
I think the head angle here works well to show off the amazing eye.
Nice light, well exposed, sharp.
Could consider some minor gardening with the removal of the twigs lower left, and possibly a small crop to eliminate the small patch of dark brown LUC, but matter of taste really.

Cheers

Randy

Ignacio Yufera
05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
A great bird not often photographed as well as this. I know by experience that they rarely offer good BG opportunities. Eyes and head feathers are beautifully shown. Pity about the tail.

Daniel Cadieux
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
This is new bird for me, thanks for posting it! I'm OK with the HA too, although I wish the tail-end was swung more towards us to show the side and tail. Great colours, and awesome eye. It would be worth it to try to eliminate the two twigs in LLC and smooth out the light streak in URC. I agree with Randy's crop suggestion to eliminate the dark patch in ULC.

Peter Farrell
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Beautiful bird and a fantastis eye. Great detail and lighting. HA is okay.
I agree with suggestions on crop and twig removal. Streaks in the Bg are a little distracting.
Peter

susanschermer
05-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Very unusual bird in beautiful light. Agree with all the comments about cleanup of the BG.

James Yule
05-26-2010, 11:34 PM
First time i have seen this bird. Nice light, very cool!

Michael Hogan
05-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. It was difficult to get a photo of this one but I was lucky, we were stopped for our morning coffee and a small group just flew through, stopping and feeding on the way.

I try the suggested actions and see what they look like. Again thanks for all the suggestions

Michael