PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Mike Dale
03-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I took a few test shots yesterday on my Nikon D3 using the 200-400VR. The results were all very similar to this reduced size shot. A full size jpg can be found here Large Chart (http://mike-dale.com/WebPictures/ChartLarge.jpg)The lens was tripod mounted and I used the Self Timer to minimise vibration. Is this aceptable do you think? The Fine Tune option is not recommended for zoom lenses even though might try it. Whats the verdict?

http://mike-dale.com/WebPictures/ChartSmall.jpg

Alfred Forns
03-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi Mike not sure I understand how this was set up?

The fine tuning has to do with front/back focus and you need a chart at an angle The center will be sharp if all is well then same amount of sharpness front anf read

Why don't you try focusing again on a flat surface with detail and check results The only way this could have come out the way it did is for the paper to have been bowed in the middle

Jim Poor
03-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Was the chart at an angle? When used per the instructions on the site the chart comes from, there will be a zone of sharpest focus and then it will fall off in both directions toward and away from the camera.

It looks like the zero is in decent focus, but that the two or three might be a little better. Which would mean that the camera is focusing a little closer to you than the point of focus in the center of the chart.

Mike Dale
03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
The test chart was on a book stand at an angle of about 40 degrees. The paper while not absolutely perfectly flat it was taped down. The focus point as indicated by Capture NX is perfectly on the centre black bar. I can see a little front focusing going on and I wanted to know how bad it is compared to other tests that people have conducted.

I'm familiar with the Fine Tune feature as I have used it on my 300 f4.

Robert O'Toole
03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi Mike

Does the lens body combo mis focus out in the field? If not get out there and make some images!!!

So far my experience is that almost all lenses are a little off but most of the time give you great results in the field.

Robert

Steve Ashton
03-03-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi Mike, In testing some new Nikon gear and also in the short time I used a Canon 1D MKIII (the two were not related honest) I found I could spend hours messing with these micro settings. The simple answer I found was to do some field based test on real images and not get to involved with this chart stuff.

I tested on a small tap in my back yard which offered some shape and depth (about the size of a small bird) and my resulting settings were great. On the Nikon that is.