PDA

View Full Version : Blue Grosbeak

Krijn Trimbos
05-25-2010, 01:10 PM
One of the species I was after personally in Texas was the Blue Grosbeak. I spend 5 weeks looking for them, but only saw one up till my 3rd week there. When Jasper started concentrating on other subjects I started doing my own set-ups. I had been in a hide for about 3 days, waiting for green jay and the occasional cardinal. However, there were some problems.....Peccaries would come every night to ravish the set-up and I would have to rebuild it ever day again, which made it difficult for the birds to get used to the set-up. Also due to heavy rainfall the birds weren't as interested in the feeders I had set up, more than enough food around. Finally, due to some cold weather a lot of the migrants had not returned to Texas yet. This made the hide sitting pretty uneventful. One morning I was sitting in the hide and was kind of dosing off when suddenly a 'flash of blue', to my foreign eye it looked like an indogo bunting but when looking through the viewer I almost jumped out of the hide from excitement. The male grossbeak sat there for 2-3 minutes and never returned after that leaving me in awe from the experience.

C & C are welcome,

Canon EOS 7D 1/800 f9
ISO 400
Canon 300mm L USM F2.8 + 2x Converter
Beanbag

douglasgraham
05-25-2010, 01:47 PM
<meta name="Title" content=""> <meta name="Keywords" content=""> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"> <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"> <meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"> <link rel="File-List" href="file://localhost/Users/photo/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal</o:Template> <o:Revision>0</o:Revision> <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime> <o:Pages>1</o:Pages> <o:Words>34</o:Words> <o:Characters>195</o:Characters> <o:Lines>1</o:Lines> <o:Paragraphs>1</o:Paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>239</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>11.773</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotShowRevisions/> <w:DoNotPrintRevisions/> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:UseMarginsForDrawingGridOrigin/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Times New Roman"; panose-1:0 2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-parent:""; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--StartFragment--> Really a beautiful bird. I see why you made the big effort and where rewarded with a really nice moment. I like the background and the comp but it seems just a little high key to me. Maybe back off a little in contrast and saturation. <o:p></o:p>
<!--EndFragment-->

Daniel Cadieux
05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
It sat there for 2-3 minutes...that's an eternity in most songbird photography!!

Good patience on your part, and you were justly rewarded. Nice comp, BG, perch, and perfect glance-back pose. I also find the perch and parts of the grosbeak a bit on the light side of things. Toning those down a bit would be a good idea IMO.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
You got the perfect head turn here. Real nice eye contact. Liked the composition a lot. and wnderfully sharp. As above, I'll also suggest toning it down. Blue sat also seems to be a bit on the higher side. that...and a round of NR on the BG will make it much better IMO.

thx for sharing the story. gives very good perspective.

Steve Deam
05-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Great capture! I love the comp and the beautiful colors. I agree with toning the light shades down just a bit. Glad to see that your efforts paid off!

Colin Knight
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Very nice, agree with the comments but like it very much as is too. Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Parker
05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Good job Krijn! I have yet to get a good photo of one of these. Was he coming to food or did you have a water drip? It was so wet I didn't have much luck with water until the afternoon of the last day.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-25-2010, 05:05 PM
All has been said but I wanted to congratulate you on a beautiful image Krijn of the grosbeak. fine work !!!

Fabs Forns
05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
It sounds like a difficult year for the ICF, but I'm sure you guys did OK. Beautiful bird and discrete set-up, I would also tone down the highlights.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-26-2010, 02:34 AM
I am glad I am not the only one thinking NR on BG. Agree about toning it down a touch, but a stunning bird on a perfect stick. :) Well done Krijn.

Kiran Poonacha
05-26-2010, 04:12 AM
All said above.. I really loved the bird and setting here..