PDA

View Full Version : Pied-Billed Grebe and baby on Nest

Stephen Stephen
05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
I created this image yesterday at a local flood control reservoir. Last year I completely missed the nesting of the P-B grebes but I was fortunate enough to find them this spring with the help of fellow photographers.

There are a number of annoying old cattails and reeds which obscure most of the view of the nest, and the birds while they are swimming about.

Canon 40D and Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm on Induro carbonflex tripod. No Flash, 1/125 sec, f/9.0, ISO 500

This image is a big crop to avoid the OOF plants in the frame so unfortunately it's not a sharp as I would like however I was pleased to add the young bird to my collection. As of yesterday there were 2 chicks with another 3 eggs still in the nest.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds3/Pied_Billed_Grebe_23.jpg

John Haig
05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Nice work, Stephen...I love the chick peeking out of her plumage. It looks like a tight spot to get any image...that's pretty darned good for what you've got to work around.

Peter Farrell
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Very nice shot. Both mom and baby look good. The three reeds touching the duck from the top would be my choices to try and remove.
Peter

Krijn Trimbos
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Nice family shot Stephen. Exp great and love the little one on the back. For me the BG is a bit too cluttered though. Otherwise well done

Robert O'Toole
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Very well done, doesnt look like an easy shot to make. Good job!

The reeds frame the birds and the BG is the natural habitat so I dont mind at it all. Looks 100% natural.

I would crop from the right a little, run NR (well soften the BG also) on the BG and sharpen the chick a little.

Robert

Steve Maxson
05-25-2010, 04:33 PM
A very nice family portrait, Stephen, with two good head angles and I like the soft, even light. I can appreciate trying to get a clear shot through the vegetation. I too am OK with the habitat, as presented, as this is where they choose to nest. Well done.

Stephen Stephen
05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Thank you John, Peter, Krijn, Robert and Steve.

Overall the nest is extremely frustrating because there is no clear view without some stem obstructing some part of it.

Ofer Levy
05-26-2010, 07:13 AM
I like this. Good job in getting them both with nice head turn.

Stephen Stephen
05-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I like this. Good job in getting them both with nice head turn.

Thank you Ofer. I took a lot of photos and kept trying to get both looking towards the camera. The adult's head could have been turned a bit more but overall I'm happy with this one.