PDA

View Full Version : Large red damselfly

thijs broekkamp
05-25-2010, 02:10 AM
This morning i went out for the second time with my new sigma 150mm. It was around six 'o' clock so al the damselflies didn't move and were covered in drops. I like to hear what you think about it. Canon 30d, Tripod, remote shutter, manuel focus, iso 100, f8, 1/4e.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/_MG_1387bwrktsrgb.jpg

Julie Kenward
05-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Thijs, looks like you found a great time to be outside with the camera! I like the detail in the dew drops but think they could use a little punch of contrast to bring them out a little bit more. Also, instead of shooting "down" on the subject, get parallel to him and shoot from the side near the head if you can. That will give your viewers more of an "in your face" angle and get them to connect to the insect even more.

Don't you love a new lens? It seems to open our world up when we get to take one out for the first "test drives"!

Ed Cordes
05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
All the comments Jules made are appropriate. I woudl add a bit more DOF as well.

Christopher Miller
05-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Early morning is definitely one of the best times to be out with a camera! :) Very nice colors and I love all the dewdrops. Jules gave some excellent suggestions.

Ken Childs
05-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I can see that in this case the leaf would have blocked parts of the bug if you shot from a lower, more forward angle. I think you did great with what was given to you.

I find bugs like this all the time but I have yet to get a decent shot like yours because when it's cool and they're covered with dew, they're usually hunkered down in the undergrowth.