PDA

View Full Version : Restoring original color and detail

Steve Large
05-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi Everyone,
Just wondered if there was anyone out there that has a technique for restoring detail that is partially obscured by out of focus objects or branches. Here is an image that I took today that would have been quite good if not interfered with by an out of focus branch. Any help on this would be appreciated as the branch cannot be compensated for or removed without disturbing the nesting birds.

Thanks,

Steve

Tom Graham
05-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Probably is a program out there that will do specifically what you want. But for fun I tried it using Photoshop.
First selected/outlined the "fuzzy" area - down to the black line.
With "unsharp" ran it at 200, 16, 0. This brought out the detail.
Using "curves" on same selected area found a nice darkness that seemed to match/blend.
That was it, those two steps. Results are not too bad, needs some tuning for blending.
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/5167a357f9ff3eea55f53ae8fc7422f66g.jpg
Tom
ps - love those fuzzy headed little fellows!!!!

Alfred Forns
05-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi Steve Don't think there is anything like that around other than trying to restore in PS Your image looks fine, would have tried pointing the camera up more to have extra room up rather than down

PS wise would select the eye of higher baby and lighten for seeing clearly, would also reduce saturation in the red channel for obtaining detail on the reds .. might even just select the parent's crest !! Like the image a lot btw sure helps is you post the shooting info !!

Sticks wise the one intersecting the head would not mind getting removing, not much into stick removal but could go after some .. alternative .. .moving up or down if possible to resolve the merge !!!

Steve Large
05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Tom and Alfred,
Thanks very much for your suggestions. This is a crop so there is still lots of tree to play with as regards giving it more room above. And the stick can be removed of course with cloning or some other method. Tom, I was wondering, did you notice your settings on the curves layer? Have played around for a while and can't seem to get it as good as you did :D.

Thanks,

Steve

Tom Graham
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I did not save the PS work. On curves used all channels, RGB, and around mid point/way took it down a fair mount. A lot will depend on your original selection area and how you feather it. I do see I feathered it 10px. After making the best with curves, you can go back into that curve layer with a (variable opacity) black or white brush to blend in the edges better. You can also use the "burn" or "dodge" tools. Once you find what is needed it looks like it will be undetectable. The beaks and foot came out particularly good on my re-post. Have fun.
Tom