PDA

View Full Version : Epiglottis!

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Gatorland Spoon Series II Long shots, fairly far away! Crop, and cloned out darker some branches.Check this dude's Epi! :D
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.0
Shooting Date/Time 5/13/2010 6:00:42 PM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/3200
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2/3
ISO Speed 1000
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Focal Length 700.0mm
Image Size 5184x3456
Image Quality RAW
Flash On
Flash Type External E-TTL
E-TTL II flash metering Evaluative flash metering
Flash Exposure Compensation +1 1/3

Arthur Morris
05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Cool pose and open bill. For your cloning efforts you get a D-.... There is one straight edge and many repeating patterns.... The white neck is detail-less and would benefit from a Linear Burn.

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Thks Art, this is a tough one to learn all of this new software. I do have a call into Robert for some photoshop workshop time. Thks, i'm reading and learning more each night,, stinking job gets in the way though!:eek:
TFS
Don

Arthur Morris
05-24-2010, 07:51 PM
YAW. Soon it will all seem easy :)

Colin Knight
05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I do like the pose here, very much! I have to ask why you were shooting at ISO 1000 and 1/3200 sec? The 7D does quite well for a crop camera, but you would have benefited from a lower ISO here, especially since it's a crop.

Also, you know better than we do based on the conditions, but I'm not sure that flash did anything at 1/3200 at such a presumed distance. Also, the light seems to be from a manageable angle such that no flash was required anyway. Your thoughts?

Troy Lim
05-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Don,
My guess is you applied NR, causing this shot to lose some details in the feathers.
Colin has a point, but I often do the same thing, usually around 1/1600 SS, as I prepare for the take off shot as well. Unless you absolutely going for the still shots, then slower SS with lower ISO, more details in the photo.
TFS.

Alfred Forns
05-24-2010, 09:59 PM
... but with which camera Troy :)

Excellent points on the ISO and flash !! I'm sure it did not reach so best to turn it off !! 7D performs well but I'm more comfortable at 640 or under ... will not hesitate to crank it higher if needed !!!

Troy Lim
05-24-2010, 10:03 PM
... but with which camera Troy :)

Excellent points on the ISO and flash !! I'm sure it did not reach so best to turn it off !! 7D performs well but I'm more comfortable at 640 or under ... will not hesitate to crank it higher if needed !!!

You are right. I am spoiled. :)

Dumay de Boulle
05-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Good exposure and sharp detail. Like the pose. Agree re cloning, but some more TLC and it will be perfect.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Good progress Don. Watch the cloning mate. The patch tool is also helpful in these situation. Although personally, I would have used quick masks. Robert will teach you all you need. He is the bomb with Photoshop I hear. :)
I like the pose and great to see the epi. :) Well done mate!

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Guys, you are right on here, the sun was in and out, and was waiting for the leg to drop, and spoon to take flight , however when the pose came, i captured it. Every weekend, i learn something, this was the lesson for sure, perhaps even 1/1600 to 1/2000 would have been enough and allowed me the oppurtunity to shoot at iso 800 or 640.... and yes the flash at that distance was worthless. One of these days, i string it all together!:eek:
As for PS, i'm learning it as i go, boy so much to learn here. I pinged O'Toole, and i believe he's out of country, however i left VM. Need to learn more about all of the tools, and the many options they afford one in the workflow.
Thks All don

Arthur Morris
05-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Don, Digital Basics has it all :) Even the basics of Quick Masking. And it reads like a cook book filled with easy recipes.