05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm at 33 mm
full frame
1/1000"
f2.8
ISO 400
EC +1.0

I was in the woods late one afternoon photoing trilliums when I turned around and saw this.

Cheryl Flory
05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
oops, forgot to include the rest of the info:
I did very little adjusting to this image. Since I had the camera set on the cloudy WB when shooting in the woods, I tried "cooling" the temperture to make it look more like an early morning image. Then I increased the exposure +.40, clarity +5 and saturation +11. All in RAW. In Photoshop, I lightened the bottom background which was too blue for what I wanted. That's all I did; didn't even do any sharpening. Oh, I did add just a tiny bit of canvas to the top so the top leaf wouldn't be so close to the edge. (Just read in Mike Moats' book last night that it is important to keep your subject from the edge, even though I kind of like the lower left leaf going off the edge.)

Well, what do you think???????? C&C most appreciated....

Mike Moats
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey Cheryl, this has a very cool look. It reminds me of a frosted glass with leaves. I know you like the lower leaf but in my opinion the the lower leaf has to go. It has a nice balance with the two lower leaves on each side and the little leaf leaving the frame at the lower left thows it off balance, but I'm sure we will get some more opinions.

Cheryl Flory
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Here it is without the bottom leaf. I thought it looked to narrow, too constrained, too much like a vase without the leaf....

Julie Kenward
05-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Good eye, Cheryl! It does have a frosted glass look to it. Only thing I see that might improve what you have here is to lighten the darker area running down the right side of the frame. Cloning over it with the nearby area should do it. Lovely and interesting image!

Steve Adkins
05-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Wonderful monochromatic. Great mood. Almost reminds me of a muliple exposure. Nice repost.

Mike Moats
05-26-2010, 05:07 AM
Hey Chery, I like the repost better, more balanced at the bottom.:)

Cheryl Flory
05-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks, Mike, Julie and Steve. I really appreciate it.

Anita Bower
05-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Lovely! I like the ethereal quality of this image. I agree about lightening the right side. Very nice work! I prefer it without the bottom leaf, but, if you prefer it with the leaf, go with what you like.