PDA

View Full Version : Sparrow in willow

John Chardine
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
I've been learning how to do set-ups lately but this was done "old-fashioned style"- the Song Sparrow just popped up in a nice fresh willow tree and I was able to make a few exposures. I was happy with the way the messy habitat looked in this one, which is a rare thing.

I blurred the BG slightly, cropped and sharpened. Also removed the flash highlight from the eye.

Date: 24 May, 2010, Time: 15:31h
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x @ 700 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 400, 1/200s, f/7.1
Exp. comp.: 0.0
Flash: on, Flash exp. comp.: -1.6

Jeff Parker
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I like it! Eye and face sharp, background doesn't bother me a bit. In fact I think it's better than the recommended smooth, featureless backgrounds.

Steve Maxson
05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
This is a very nice image, John. Good sharpness and head angle and I like the comp with the bird on the diagonal stem. The background habitat is pleasantly OOF, though you might consider toning down a few of the brighter portions of the background. Well done.

Colin Knight
05-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for sharing John! DOF is a balancing act here. I find myself wanting more DOF so that the feet aren't quite so soft, but then wonder how much more unwanted detail that would have given you in the background...Either way, it's sharp where it counts.

Ilija Dukovski
05-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I like this one lot, the eye and plumage detail are great,
BG although messy looks quite good actually, but the perch
with the flower is my favorite here. Very nicely composed.

Dumay de Boulle
05-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Nice use f flash and I like the BG and perch...Good work on that eye;)

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Hi John
I find it a bit too square for my personal taste, but man, what a stunning little bird and perfectly sharp and lots of detail. I really enjoyed this one! :) Great HA and the curved perch all works in unison with the direction of the sparrow. Cool!

Daniel Cadieux
05-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Way to go John, I like this alot! Only thing I would suggest is, if you have it, adding a bit more room at right to make the sparrow and the "flower" equally balanced space-wise at each respective side of the frame. Good job on the BG blurring...looks very natural.

John Chardine
05-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks Daniel and others. I'll try that. I would like to have included the leaves I cut off on the right hand side but there is a nasty OOF leaf there and I was not looking forward to a long Ps session! I'll give it a try. BTW I didn't bluf the BG very much so most of what you see was there in the original.