PDA

View Full Version : Form and color

Dave Mills
05-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Another image taken in Upper Antelope Canyon scanned from a slide.There are many possible compositions in the slot but not the easiest place to photograph due to a narrow path with many people going through. Due to long exposures a tripod is almost a necessity
I have started going through these taken about 6 years ago and found others to my liking that I overlooked.

Kobus Tollig
05-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Great color here DAve. What was your settings here. I feel that the DOF was not enough here.

Hilary Hann
05-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I am enjoying seeing these landscapes which rely so much on colour and shapes. They show up every error of judgement we make and I can't see that you've made many (to my eye). What I like also, is that there is no reference point so these old rocks could be any size.
Kobus, I think Dave mentioned with one of the others from this series is that he didn't write down the settings … remember the good old days? We had to write down everything when taking a photo with film or transparency, prior to the digital age, no wonder I love my new cameras. ;)

Dave Mills
05-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi Kobus, I shoot most landscapes at F22. Even back in the old film days...Other specs are gone...

Robert Amoruso
05-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Images in places such as this are all about light, color, shapes, patterns, etc. Dave di a fine job composing with strong diagonal leading lines and geometric shapes (triangles).

Kodus, DOF was good, it is a matter of sharpening. Dave hope you don't mind I did a Local Contrast Enhancement using USM on a BG copy and then sharpened for the repost. I lost some of the color in the translation back and forth but this was about the sharpening.

Dave Mills
05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Robert, I like what you did using the adjustment to enhance the sharpening. I'll try that on the image...

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Dave,
Rebort's repost definitely brought out some of that depth......figured you shot this in that range:)......The forms and shapes are very stong and pleasing as is the color in the OP but I wanted to bring some of the lines in the shadow areas out even more.....all I did was add black to black channel in selective color......just another option to explore.

Dave Mills
05-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks Roman! Nice job...