PDA

View Full Version : Grackle?

Linwood Ferguson
05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
http://captivephotons.com/Nature/Other-Nature-Areas/Lakes-Park-Ft-Myers-2/876112686_nZQBX-XL.jpg

These are very common in SW Florida, and I always assumed they were a type of grackle, but when I looked up images of them none match (too grey).

What is it?

D300, 200-400 F4 @ 1/320th, F7.1, 1.4x TC @ 420mm, ISO 200, fill light from SB800

John Chardine
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Ferguson (apologies but I don't know if this is your first or last name- if you PM Alfred Forns he can change to your real name and then you will be in full compliance with BPN Guidelines.

I think this is a Boat-tailed Grackle, but I agree that my field guide (Sibley) misses the tones and colour here too. Could be a young bird or a female but is definitely not an adult male which iridescent blue and green.

Linwood Ferguson
05-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi Ferguson (apologies but I don't know if this is your first or last name- if you PM Alfred Forns he can change to your real name and then you will be in full compliance with BPN Guidelines.

It's Linwood Ferguson. I had no idea I was breaking the rules. I have done so.

I think this is a Boat-tailed Grackle, but I agree that my field guide (Sibley) misses the tones and colour here too. Could be a young bird or a female but is definitely not an adult male which iridescent blue and green.

They are very common here, whatever they are, and hang out with the red winged blackbirds and the very black grackles. There were dozens of them at the lake today. The color shown is a bit reddish from the early sun but correct otherwise. Female perhaps, too many and too uniform I think for young, unless they stay a different color for a good while.

Thanks.