PDA

View Full Version : Strange Water and a not pretty but rare duck

Steve Bein
05-23-2010, 04:28 AM
The rare Laysan Duck ( perhaps 30 at Midway Atoll) on Eastern Island. There is one small pond with greenish water where the ducks stay. It was not explained what caused the tint in the water, but there is so much debris from WWII there, that it might be some effect from the debris . Any way, there were two ducks, one being pursued by another. This one was the one in back. The water splash was caught and I liked the effect.
It was a privilege to have visited and been there with Artie and several other talented photographers. Posting this more for the sharing than a critique, though comments are welcomed.
7D, 100-400 IS @400mm
1/500 sec, f/8, ISO: 200

Mark Young
05-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Interesting water colour. You've captured the splashing quite well, but I would've liked to have seen this at a lower angle, which would've looked great with all that water moving around. Congrats on getting this image of a rare bird.

Steve Bein
05-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Mark,
I would have loved to have been allowed to get lower, but the Fish and wildlife rules and officer would not allow us to get closer. the pond was in a depression, lowering the tripod or getting on the ground only would have put us behind bushes. the rules are that we need to keep a good distance from the rare and endangered, which included short tailed albatross, Hawaiian seals, turtles and the laysan ducks. Even with our staying away, the ducks took a while to resume their behavior. Also when stressed they go to water and about half did. So, this was the best opportunity available for the equipment I had, which was what the operators of the Joe Van Oss tour suggested. I would have loved to have my 500 and TC's but the weight allowances and suggestions said that it would not be necessary. Unfortunately, the longer big guns would have been a benefit.