PDA

View Full Version : Baby Reddish on the Hooptie Deux

Arthur Morris
05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
From this morning's Hooptie Deux ride on Tampa Bay with Axel Hildebrandt and Arash Hazeghi courtesy of Captain James Shadle. Tripod-mounted Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 1000. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/8.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Tomorrow in Osprey Heavn with Jim Neiger. See my blog for details or to join me :)

Randy Stout
05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Artie:

1st time I have seen a young reddish, as I am not in Florida this time of year ever.
Nice light, soft, non directional. Like the crop with room for virtual feet, scraggly feathers sticking up, vivid eye.

Did you need to do any eye doctor work?

Were you in the water or on the Hooptie for this shoot? Shooting angle a bit higher than usual for in water, unless he was really close in ( and obviously he wasn't with the lens setup)

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
05-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks Randy. Here's a question for the student: why did I pull the tripod legs in and get as high as possible (while in the water)?

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-22-2010, 03:53 PM
My guess, is you wanted to shoot down on the reddish a bit, and remove some undesirable bkg, or perhaps a better light angle.
Student Don

Randy Stout
05-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Artie:

Don gave the most likely answer. Background concerns. Light angle wouldn't change enough to make any difference.

Cheers

Randy

Troy Lim
05-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Artie,

It was nice to see you there this morning.
Don was correct, to go any lower, would have a dark greenish BG on top.
They were a bit shy this morning was hoping they would do a bit more.
Good shot.

Arthur Morris
05-22-2010, 04:45 PM
My guess, is you wanted to shoot down on the reddish a bit, and remove some undesirable bkg, or perhaps a better light angle. Student Don

Exactly what undesirable BKGR? :) :confused: :)

Arthur Morris
05-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Artie, It was nice to see you there this morning. Don was correct, to go any lower, would have a dark greenish BG on top. They were a bit shy this morning was hoping they would do a bit more. Good shot.

You were a bit more specific than Don and thus a bit more right :) I am sorry that I did not connect you with your avatar image. I would have liked to have chatted. What time did you guys head out in the kayaks???

I am not a big fan of your guide/friend (???) as many of the things that he has done in an effort to get ahead have not been very nice and many have not at all been appreciated by professional colleagues (to use the term loosely).

Next time introduce yourself!

Troy Lim
05-22-2010, 04:58 PM
You were a bit more specific than Don and thus a bit more right :) I am sorry that I did not connect you with your avatar image. I would have liked to have chatted. What time did you guys head out in the kayaks???

I am not a big fan of your guide/friend (???) as many of the things that he has done in an effort to get ahead have not been very nice and many have not at all been appreciated by professional colleagues (to use the term loosely).

Next time introduce yourself!

Start had to start about 30-40 mins before sunrise as I was slow, still learning how to paddle, just like with bird photography.
I usually don't talk too much while shooting as I do not want to disturb others, not being rude.
I will certainly introduce myself next time.

Susan Liddle
05-22-2010, 05:00 PM
The background works for me, very well actually, but what makes this image special, to my eye, are the unkempt feathers on the top of the head. Somehow they make the bird seem real, unguarded, and a bit silly.
It's a wonderful portrait. :)

arash_hazeghi
05-22-2010, 10:39 PM
That was quick Artie! nice image like the light and details, I am just downloading my files now. see you tomorrow.

Troy Lim
05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
That was quick Artie! nice image like the light and details, I am just downloading my files now. see you tomorrow.

Arash, never formally introduced myself today. Hope you arms were not sore handholding the 500mm all morning.

arash_hazeghi
05-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Arash, never formally introduced myself today. Hope you arms were not sore handholding the 500mm all morning.

Hi Troy,
I wish you had, it was a good exercise, hope you got some good shots. we'll chat next time

Arash

Troy Lim
05-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Troy,
I wish you had, it was a good exercise, hope you got some good shots. we'll chat next time

Arash

It is always easier to now I know who is who.
Hope to see your shot here as well.

Tobias Hayashi
05-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Nice shot, beautiful light on the bird. Setting is also good, I can see why you had to keep this angle. The body of the bird is perhaps a tad too bright? Love the little stray feathers on the bird's head.

Stu Bowie
05-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Good angle of pose, and I like the warm colours in this. Enough room left for the virtual legs and feet - well done.