PDA

View Full Version : Need help from frequent visitor to Wako

Linda Martino
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
We live 300 miles from Wakodahatchee Wetlands so we can't get down their frequently. We were there Friday morning and the island in the first big water area had newly born Black Necked Stilts chicks. We got photos but its a stretch even with a 500 for such tiny babies. There was also a group on the east side of the far side of the board walk but of course bad morning light.

We saw 2 nests which would be great morning light and only a few feet from the boardwalk. Each had 4 eggs. My problem is that is didn't occur to me ask any of the regulars there if they would tell me when the nests hatched since I didn't plan a trip back. And I know some of the people come there every day. So my question is are there any people on this list who go there a lot who would let me know when either nest hatches. We could make a trip down but at 600 miles round trip, I need to time it well. We have a flexible schedule so that is not the problem. Its knowing when to go as we would only go down for one morning.

Alfred Forns
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi Linda Will send email to some of the regulars see if they can help you out, I go but not every week !!

... btw your best best is coming down on midday shoot the afternoon then the next morning and go back !! btw Let us know then the baby spoons hatch :) Can't wait !! .. try to get a pic of the egg for John but no chance. I think the best way is to ask them (Jim will do it :) ) for a ladder and try !!!

Milt Berko
05-28-2010, 10:40 AM
As of Thursday PM, neither nest has hatched. On the back side, there are 2 Stilt chicks. The parents keep moving the location where they feed. We were able to get a few images of them and I believe that with a 500mm lens you should be able to get a few good captures.

Alfred Forns
05-28-2010, 07:35 PM
... thanks Milt :)

Linda Martino
05-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks Milt.