PDA

View Full Version : Perched Hummingbird

jfranciskay
05-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Not sure about the spider thread on the bottom, something told me to leave it. This image is fairly heavily cropped, so some feather detail was lost. Kinda like the partially open beak. Would appreciate your critique!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/4628601519_ac6e55d8b6_o.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Focal Length: 700.0mm
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 1/320
ISO equiv: 400

Bruce Enns
05-22-2010, 08:25 AM
A fine looking Ruby-throated female Jim! Great exposure, background and head details. Open bill tip is a plus, and its always nice to see those tiny feet. (It's been so cool and wet here that our hummers are ofen puffed up with feet covered.) There is a bit of a halo(?) or artifact around the very tip of the upper bill.

I would wish for a bit more DOF to bring in some more shoulder detail and possibly even the tail...it looks like you had a bit of latitude in shutter speed and ISO to try f/11 or even f/16, but I'm not sure whether even those would have given you enough to get the whole body in focus.

Cheers!
Bruce

Randy Stout
05-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Jim:

Bruce hit the important tech. points. I like the crop, good call to leave the spider thread.
Like the ruffed up head feathers and slightly open bill, makes her look like she is talking.
The perch has interest without being overpowering for this little girl.

Cheers

Randy

Joe Senzatimore
05-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Perch , BG and composition all work to pull this together. Love the little piece of web as well.

Jim Crosswell
05-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I like the perch, raised feathers and open beak. Nice shot!

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Really like this as presented and the web is definitely a keeper as it gives a little more of the real natural look. Wonderful eye contact and detail. Well done !!!

Katie Rupp
05-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Wonderful detail, the open beak adds interest as does the spiderweb; I like the contrast of the soft/quiet colors of the bird with the more vibrant tones of the perch and bg. Nicely done!

Juan Aragonés
05-23-2010, 02:18 AM
I would not worry about the spider web. More DOF would be great. Light is really nice and love the fantastic details on the eye and face.