PDA

View Full Version : Fall Colors

Stan Hoyt
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
D70 18-70 @70 f4.5 1/100 iso 320

Forsyth, GA. Taken at 8 am in mid-November when the red maple was at peak color. The large tree in the foreground is a tulip poplar with ivy, Between the poplar and the maple is a small sassafras sapling. The (overgrown) iron stairway leads down to our pond.

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I like this image Stan and I like the idea but the cropping leads me wanting more. It appears you have a path leading up to the gate. That would be a perfect leading line to guide the viewer into the image. I am OK with the left and right crops but would have moved that camera down to get rid of the sky. That would also have given you more of the path in the image. Nice color saturation. The bright sky draws the viewer's eye away for the leaves.

In this instance going for a wider view with the zoom and cropping later gives you more to work with. Is this image full frame or a crop of the original composition.

Thanks for posting and looking forward to more images and since this is you own home, can't wait to see this again next year in full color.

Stan Hoyt
01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the great input, Robert. They were right - you learn more when it's your own image being critiqued! This image is nearly full frame, but I have some others that include more of the surroundings. Unfortunately, what leads up to the stair is not a nice woodland path, but a concrete driveway, which I cropped out.

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I see why you left it out. I am betting that you had lots of leaves on the ground then. You could rack them on the concrete and simulate a woodland path. Go for it next year.