PDA

View Full Version : Bee

Deborah Hanson
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Trying to figure out flash. Heavy crop.
D700 with 300 f/4 lens at 300mm, 1/60, f/8, ISO 200 with SB-900 flash attached.
Tried to get the bee without getting too much yellow from the flowers.
Any comments welcome.

Julie Brown
05-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi Deborah. I think the yellow is fine-exposure looks OK. There are some flash highlights you could bring down with an adjustment brush. Is the OOF areas on the edges due to a vignette or foliage?

Julie Kenward
05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Julie made some good points and asked a good question - what did you do in pp and what is natural here? Another question for you...what kind of flash? On camera? Off camera? Macro twin lights? That will also help us help you further.

I think a bit more light overall would help as the bottom of the image feels very dark to me. I'd also clone out the white areas on the bottom half as well.

Deborah Hanson
05-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Julie and Julie - thanks for comments.
I did add a vignette around the outside. It seemed that everything was running off the edge of the photo. The bee was in a busy background so I thought it might help (?). I cropped (alot) of the dark background. Was the background really dark because I used an ISO 200 and f/8? I noticed that when I played around with the aperture the background would be less or more dark.
The flash (the SB-900) was attached to the camera. I had the flash at a 90 degree angle.

Again, thanks for any help.
Deb

Julie Brown
05-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Deborah, you could clone out the white areas as Jules suggested, and bring up the shadows a bit. As for the vignette, if it were mine I would reduce it and crop some more to feature the flower and bee.:)