PDA

View Full Version : Masked Owl

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-21-2010, 12:29 AM
I have been very busy for a few months hence my lack of participation. :)

Many a night I have spent alone searching for this stunning Australian owl species in the Sydney basin. After about an eight-month search over around 30 nights in likely forest habitat, my dream had come true when I heard the distinct scream about a week ago. This is a Masked Owl (Tyto novaehollandiae) a close relative of the Eastern Barn Owl (T.javanica). Judging by a mate of mine who is currently doing his PhD on an Australian Ninox owl species this is a female Masked Owl, despite what I had originally thought was a small male. Unfortunately she was sitting high in a tree and I could not cajole her to come any closer to show off her incredibly powerful talons. This is my best image, cropped to 65% of original.

30D, 300/4L IS + 1.4x, ISO400, f/5.6, 1/100th, 430EX @ +2/3 with beamer, HH

http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/3730-1/Masked-Owl_7866.jpg

Stu Bowie
05-21-2010, 03:42 AM
Hey Akos, good to see you posting again. Im sure you are very happy with this sighting, and just love the direct eye contact. Good flashwork, as the light is evenly spread. Great capture mate.

Harshad Barve
05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Akosbhai, good to see you posting again
Lovely image , techs spot on as usual and nice eye contact
TFS

Lorant Voros
05-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Akos. I was almost worried about you. Nice to have you back. I hope you will participate more with your comments and pictures that are greatly appriciated.

Happy your hard work paid off. Nice capture and good techs. Well done.
Lorant

Dave Leroy
05-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Good for you to get a nice reward for your persistence.
Perhaps a small crop off the right?

Really nicely exposed.

Mark Young
05-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Congrats Akos! Very nice eye contact.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Thanks for looking guys. Mark, wish you were there with me for this one! I had no one to be elated with. All alone, in the dead of night. Just me, and the screaming Masked Owl. At first it sent a shiver down my spine! It was rather spooky! :eek:

Rod Warnock
05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Great capture, Akos!! Use of flash well done. We had one at Fassifern but too many limbs.
Best regards
Rod Warnock