PDA

View Full Version : Fungi on Sundews

Tony Kirkby
03-01-2008, 06:05 PM
This fungi was found growing on a bed of red sundews in the Jarrah Forest.

Nikon D70
60mm Macro
SB21b speedlight
1/60sec
f20
ISO 200

Christoph Belanger
03-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow. Do you know what species this is? This looks like Drosera bulbosa ssp. bulbosa. From a photographic perspective, I feel as though it is a bit too tight and the mushroom is a bit too large in the frame. Although DOF is already F20, a bit more would help tremendously as I would prefer to see the entire mushroom in focus. I am wondering if a longer lens, maybe 200mm or a 300mm with some extension tubes would do the trick. Technically this is a very difficult shot to accomplish, but you did well as is.

Tony Kirkby
03-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi Christoph
Where are you from?
I have many shots of these sundews/fungi, They are quite difficult to frame as moving away from the subject increases other oof distractions. I also think the fungi is slightly large in the frame and wish it wasn't leaning so much!
I am looking forward to re-visiting this area later in the year after comments and suggestions from this forum from other fungi/sundew posts.

John Cooper
03-01-2008, 10:11 PM
A new species for me Tony - is there a symbiotic relationship between the fungus and sundews? Will May be a good time for these when I am over there?!
I like your composition here (maybe a little more room at top would improve). Surprising that the fungus wasn't more in focus at F20. Focusing on the front of cap at F32 may have been the way to go as the fungus appears to be the main subject here.

Tony Kirkby
03-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi John
As far as I know there is no relationship between these two.
Unfortunately this area doesn't produce much until June onwards so you may miss out in May. Will keep you informed.
I would never have considered F32 (throwback from film days) but will be trying it more in the future.

edward saltau
03-01-2008, 11:37 PM
fantastic colours here tony, the water drop in the foreground makes is for me!

Robert O'Toole
03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Awesome Tony I really like it. The image is so interesting and the colors are great.

This image would be a perfect candidate for a image blend with an image with the cap in focus.
If you have such an image and are interested I can give you details if interested.

Robert

Mike Moats
03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey Tony, I like the combination od these two subject. Don't be affraid of the F32 I shoot it all the time with no problems. Bracket your f/stops just as you would the exposure, you can always decide which f/stop works the best when you get. home. The overall image looks a little dark to me.