PDA

View Full Version : Storm over Hoy

Harold Stiver
01-03-2008, 09:28 AM
From the Orkney Islands, as a storm approached from the island of Hoy, I walked along the beach picking up foreground elements.

I am interested in thoughts on the light pool area in the center. It is lighter than the sky when it should actually be darker, because I used a +2NDG on the sky. I decided to leave it that way although it perhaps looks unnatural.

Canon 5D, 17-40mm @22, f/22, 1/6sec.

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Welcome Harold,

Good use of DOF here. The rock and pool lead the eye into the image and up to the BG mountain. I agree with you in the pool. Lower its brightness to match the sky. As it is now, the eye lingers too long at it. I would have like to see the edge of the rock at the bottom. As an alternate, crop up a bit above your name. My motto is (Artie inspired), don't clip, cut.

Correct the pool as you mentioned and you have a real winner here.

Rich Ikerd
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I really like the light on the foreground rocks, but the bright pool does distract from the overall image. Darkening it up to make it more natural will greatly improve the image. Looks like an interesting shoreline to photograph with endless possibilities.

Maxis Gamez
01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Hello Harold and welcome.

This is a very interesting image. The composition works very well and the contrast between the foreground the BG makes this image unique. Very nicely done!

Hillebrand Breuker
01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
very nice composition with great depth. The pool is a bit too bright, but that is easaliy fixed