PDA

View Full Version : Stalking lioness

Hilary Hann
05-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Not long after the lioness shown in my last post went off to feed the cubs, her sister hunted and killed a wildebeest. This is the third sister who saw the activity and came down to share the spoils of the hunt. She approached very cautiously, and stalked past us before joining her sister. I have cropped her so that she has room to move into and across the photo, between the rocks. C&C welcomed.
7D; 300mm; f9.5; 1/125; ISO200

Rachel Hollander
05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Hilary - I like the perspective. The power and intensity of the lioness comes through. The clump of dirt in the lower right corner is a little distracting. Overall I like this image.

Rachel

Tom Graham
05-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice photo of a lion.
But perhaps a lower perspective, not looking down on the lion, would like it be more eye level. (When I figure out how to do that from the vehicle seat, I'll let you know :) ). And eyes again, can't see its right eye, left eye half in shade and no eye contact. The rocks left and right a little distracting. Tall grass is ok.
Tom

Harshad Barve
05-20-2010, 11:59 PM
wow , you gotta love that looks in eyes here , beautiful image
TFS

Hilary Hann
05-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Tom, are you sure you're looking at the same image? Lion's left eye clear as day (light) and she's looking straight at me from the edge of a rise, i.e. she was coming down from a ridge above my head. :confused:

Tom Graham
05-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi Hilary, could be, not easy for me to say because eye a bit dark. My first impression was that she was looking over me. Wonder how others see it?? Please tell us everyone.
Tom

Rachel Hollander
05-21-2010, 03:57 PM
I agree with Hilary about the eye.

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Hilary - nice pose and intent gaze...agree about the eyes...the lion's right eye is shaded and the one in the light half-shaded but that one can be brightened easily.

did you add a vignette during PP?

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-24-2010, 05:10 AM
I can see what Tom is referring to regarding the eyes. The edges of the image look like they've been burnt and IMHO that detracts from my ability to focus on the lion as I'd expect it to look more natural. I sense this is a rather large crop. Otherwise the pose is very nice and I am happy you were in a car, and safe. :) Cheers

Hilary Hann
05-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the comments. I might do a re post and try a different crop.