PDA

View Full Version : Club Tailed Dragonfly Gomphus vulgatissimus

Jonathan Ashton
05-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Canon 7D Canon 100-400 L IS @400, Monopod, ISO 200 1/800 sec f8.
These dragonflies present very few opportunities for capturing, the lavae spend 2-3 years in the water, they then pupate on the muddy river bank or less commonly, as this one did on a stem. Once the imago emerges from the exuvia it dies its wings and flies very locally to grass where it gathers strength. It then flies off to the tree tops eats a bit finds a mate or two, eats a bits more... and then that's pretty well it, after a couple of weeks that's his life over.
The pale sticky out bits are parts of the exuvia, the majority is on the far side of the stem.
All comments welcome.

denise ippolito
05-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Jonathan, Very nice comp. and mood to this. I do wish the front wing were more in focus. Very nice details in the far wing.:)

OvidiuCavasdan
05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Good looking against black BG, nice color and wing details. Seems to me it needs a bit more sharpening on eye/head...just a thought...

Ken Childs
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Jon, it looks like most of the focus is on the tip of the abdomen. As Ovidiu mentioned, some selective sharpening on the head and thorax might help. Did you use flash on this shot? The perch looks pretty bright and has the look that I have problems with on light perches and flash.

Jonathan Ashton
05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Jon, it looks like most of the focus is on the tip of the abdomen. As Ovidiu mentioned, some selective sharpening on the head and thorax might help. Did you use flash on this shot? The perch looks pretty bright and has the look that I have problems with on light perches and flash.

Hi Ken, I agree maybe a little more judicious sharpening would help, the shot was taken in strong daylight, the dark background is the River Dee.

Julie Kenward
05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Jonathan, thanks for the addiitonal information about the insect - you "bug guys" are teaching me so much! I like the overall look of the image but since it's so strong, why not brighten up the body with a curves adjustment and really go high contrast?

Jonathan Ashton
05-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks very much everyone for your comments, here is a repost baring in mind your suggestions:cool:

Cheryl Flory
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't mind the oof near wing, to me that adds depth to the image. I like how you darkened the bg, but it seems like the areas between the back legs could be darkened also.

Jonathan Ashton
05-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Cheryl the background was as is if you know what I mean, I brushed out a couple of reeds that's all.