PDA

View Full Version : Galápagos giant tortoise - (Geochelone nigra)

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2010, 02:22 AM
The most recognized symbol of the Galápagos is the tortoise. Not the most difficult to photograph, just depends if you can coax them out. :) Their legs are like amour platting, but support an incredible huge weight, not including the tourists that think it is funny to stand on them! Thankfully not encounted when I was there.

Steve
MKIII 70-200 f/2.8 f/8 1/125sec ISO400 (HH, almost FF), very wet and cloudy day, taken mid morning

Sabyasachi Patra
05-20-2010, 04:36 AM
Steve,
I like the perspective. The grass in the mouth enhances the image. The texture on the legs gives an impression of some tractor wheels. Depth of field is fine. I won't mind some more as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Austin Thomas
05-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Is that one foot in the grave Steve? ( oh dear...Taxi for Austin... )

The grass in the mouth is good as is the eye contact. I would have liked all of the near leg in the frame personally.

Cheers

Austin

Rachel Hollander
05-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Steve - I like the perspective and especially that you captured some of the detail of the shell too. I know that the conditions in the highlands aren't always ideal either. Would love to see more.

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Austin, I DON"T BELIEVE IT!!!':D

A few Birthday cards have used this image, guess it's a Brits thing. I cropped it that was as I wanted a solid area on the lhs anything more might have had distracting items in it, just makes it nice & neat IMHO.

Hi Rachel, there are some Iguanas floating in Wildlife (animals not people :D) and a Blue Footed booby in Avian if you want to hunt.

Harshad Barve
05-21-2010, 12:02 AM
lovely image and grass blade is just too much :D:D
TFS

Steve Canuel
05-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I like the rich, dark tone of this and the texture of the legs. Grass adds a nice touch.