PDA

View Full Version : Monument Valley Icons

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2010, 04:00 PM
From my just completed Arches/Monument Valley Tour......we were rewarded with this sunset at the mittens....but I also helped mother nature along with a stack of filters....the enhanceing filter along with a 81B sunset filter and hand held 2 stacked split ND's! I pulled the saturation back on the reds about 20 points and even added some cyan to bring it to more natural. The sun was down for about 15 minutes already. Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 25mm for 5 seconds at f22 and ISO 100....all tripod mounted. I cropped to a pano as there were a few con-trails above the reds but I also liked the way the pano emphasized the buttes. Big debate was to eliminate the sand patch with a clone/patch....it was there naturally....so I left it but may change my mind for the print version.

Michael Pancier
05-19-2010, 04:53 PM
that sky makes you wanna cry. I only get blue skies out West...

Morkel Erasmus
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Roman this has got to be my favourite image of yours (at least of all those I've seen here on BPN) :eek:
Just love the compo, the stunning quality of light and that gorgeous sky. The colours and details are mindblowing.

Question - would it be possible to get a similar result in PS? (for a guy like me who doesn't have a stack of filters yet) :)

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Roman this has got to be my favourite image of yours (at least of all those I've seen here on BPN) :eek:
Just love the compo, the stunning quality of light and that gorgeous sky. The colours and details are mindblowing.

Question - would it be possible to get a similar result in PS? (for a guy like me who doesn't have a stack of filters yet) :)

Thanks Guys! Glad you like it Morkel.....how far back did you look???:D

...as for the PS question.....deep down inside I believe yes (although I hate to admit it). I do believe you can get the color easily enough in PS by changing the white balance or even by color temp.....so really no need for the enhancer or even warming filter (luckily I am not sponsored by the filter companies!)......now for the splits. While you may be able to merge a couple of exposures.....not sure it is the same although with some work, I do think you can get close. As I prefer to get it in camera 1 shot......I only recommend 2 filters....a split ND 3 stop soft edge...in 4x6 size (hand holdable) and the circular polariser.....only 2 must have's. I do like a few toys.....a vari ND filter $$$$.....which is great for water.....but not toally a must. I'm not a huge fan of sitting in front of the computer and working on images so less is more for me and since I have the filters from my film days.....an easy solution for me!

Nick Palmieri
05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I love the way the sky is asymmetrical and the landscape is symmetrical. After looking for a few minutes at this it has almost has a 3D effect. The exposure and the sharpness is perfect...but I would expect nothing less from you...I think I would lose the sand patch...

denise ippolito
05-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Roman, Awesome sky colors and comp.!! I really like the way the clouds have a soft illumination. I don't mind the sand patch at all. You really did some magic w/ those filters. One of my favorites of yours-and you have had some killers.:)

Kobus Tollig
05-20-2010, 05:04 AM
Great scene here well done on the shot. I feel that it might be a bit on the dark side. I also see some Halos around the 3 heads in this.

Dave Mills
05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Roman, Very well handled!For folks who haven't been here the sun is behind Roman at sunset so your getting the glow of the late light on the subjects and clouds. Very fortunate to get clouds of this nature since the lighting of them adds so much to it's strength.
Strong comp and well balanced!!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Great shot, hope to get there next year

peter delaney
05-23-2010, 01:05 PM
great image... would love the chance to shoot these icons...

was very tempted to suggest this would make an interesting b&w , but since you went to so much trouble with filters etc.. thought best not too:):)

Roman Kurywczak
05-23-2010, 01:35 PM
great image... would love the chance to shoot these icons...

was very tempted to suggest this would make an interesting b&w , but since you went to so much trouble with filters etc.. thought best not too:):)

Thanks all! Peter...I always consider B&W conversions!!! Hope to get around to it in a few days!

Robert Amoruso
05-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Have not seen this view in a while. Great light and detail throughout the image.

Nagesh Mula
06-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Beautiful image Roman, Congrats!!
Colors are well maintained and the Sky is beautiful.