PDA

View Full Version : Shad pond Dam

Myer Bornstein
05-19-2010, 11:29 AM
This is a new area for me to bird watch and to do photography. It is part of the Daniel L. Savoe Conservation Area in Rehoboth MA. There are areas to walk, fish, look at birds flowers and wildlife. I saw my first Yellow-billed Cuckoo in 20 + years here. Adjusted in PS
Nikon D300s 18-105 Nikon lens
18-105mm @ 18mm
27mm (in 35mm film)
1/1250 sec, f/8
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
White balance: Auto

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Myer,
OK...first thing to think about when doing landscapes is DOF.....not necessary to have all that speed....unless it was real windy! Given the scene it was very difficult to balnce the shade areas with the bright sky......as the RH side doesn't add much to the overall scene, composing this w/o it would have been a better choice IMO. If you are going to continue with the landscape endeavours consider purchasing a split ND filter to better help balnce the sky with the FG. Rather inexpensive and still a must in todays digital age. An alternative is to do an HDR or blend a few exposures.....for similar results. Looks like you will have plenty of chances to explore the area so looking forward to your future attempts!

Dave Mills
05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Myer, Roman summed it up well. F8 is a DOF you can possibly have a problem with if your shooting close foregrounds. If your tripod mtd slow speed isn't a problem. Agree about minimalizing the rt side and A GND would probably have brought more detail out in the sky. Good effort...

Robert Amoruso
05-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi Myer,

Good points from Dave and Roman. Strong light is hurting this image as well as its busy nature. Think details and minimize the view, concentrate in the details of the scene, use a longer focal length, etc.

Morkel Erasmus
05-24-2010, 05:13 AM
some good points mentioned already. sounds like an interesting spot Myer!