PDA

View Full Version : Corsair Bay grass colour.

Ian McHenry
03-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I have tried several times to get the best grass colour in this picture taken above Corsair Bay, but it still doesn't feel quite right.
Metering was multi-segment @ minus 0.5 EV taken in JPEG with Pentax K10D.
In camera saturation was @ Plus 1 which I think may be the source of the problem.
Either that or should have used RAW.
400 ISO 1/90 sec @ F11.
Focal Length 70mm.
Image uncropped from original.
Have applied slight additional blue.
Edited with Photoshop Elements 5.
Ian Mc

Fabs Forns
03-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Ian, using RAW is always the best choice.

I believe you saturation is the culprit. Try to des-sat a bit and see if that makes it better. maybe you can get rid of that setting ;)
In this image, there;s a lot of reflection from the leaves, aggravating the problem. A polarzer could help!.

Ian McHenry
03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Thank you Fabs.
I will adjust in camera saturation to normal for a while and see how it goes.
Never thought of using the polariser although in camera bag !!!
(Polariser for shiny leaves to memory box !!!)
Anyway I reduced saturation and also for the first time ever also reduced hue, then darkened a bit.
Ian Mc

Alfred Forns
03-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Ian do go to RAW as Fabs suggested

If you are concerned about a color cast there is one thing you can do. In most scenes there will be something to color balance. Referring to a color light gray/black. You can provide the scene with a grey card then check in PS. Just Adjust the color until is neutral

Do keep in ming with late afternoon early morning there is a warm glow, sort of special light. If you take out that warm light and neutralize the end result will be boring mid day light!!!

There are programs which will help you with the color balance I like iCorrect LabPro Easy to use Just pick a neutral color and click. Does save time.

Ian McHenry
03-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks Al.
I've bookmarked the icorrect Lab Pro page for a free trial for when I do my next RAW trial.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Robert Amoruso
03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Ian,

I think you got the right suggestions on this one. Going RAW will give you better control, try the polarizer as well.

Ian McHenry
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Robert.
It will be a good challenge !!!