Early morning shot.
Nikon D3s
Nikon 600mm f/4 with 1.7 t/c
ISO 400
1/800 sec @ f/9

Comments welcome......I'm new at this!

Dave Mills
05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi Jay, welcome to ETL! You shot this at a good low angle in habitat without alot of distractions. The fish adds alot of interest and I like the water spray.
The image was shot under contrasting light which can be harsh and not appealing. Good to shoot white birds either early or late with warm light. This light has a tendancy to bring out more detail in whites. Lighting position is also important...good effort...

Alfred Forns
05-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Jay Big Warm Welcome

Agree with Dave Need softer light for this one .. and coming form the right place ... from behind !!!!

Do like the low angle shots and having a fish makes it even better !! Crop wise would have more up front, will enhance image with better visual proportion !! On the bottom we can take a little bit off, I know the virtual feet are there but in these low shots its a compromise !!!

btw as is can do some tweaks in PS to lighten areas, might want to give it a try or some else is welcome see what they come up with !!! Looking forward to the next one !!

Jay Sheinfield
05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Alfred and Dave,

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I will try some PS work on this.

Alfred Forns
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Hi Jay Hope someone gives it a go if not will give it a stab tonight !!!

Lance Peters
05-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Jay - another big warm welcome!!
Great advice from Dave and AL - i ALSO have the D3S.
Awesome camera if you need any help let me know.
looking forward to seeing more :)

Alfred Forns
05-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Jay This is what I had in mind Lighten the bird with curves and dodging selectively, increase warmth, crop a tiny bit from bottom then smooth out the bg some !! Fast and nothing complicated.

Jay Sheinfield
05-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Alfred,

This looks great...............I have some PS learning to do. Thanks a bunch for the work and help!

Jay