PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra HDR

Dan Brown
05-18-2010, 12:57 AM
This is an 5 image HDR captured early in the morning of the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada. HDR generated with Photomatix, PP'ed and sharpened in CS3. C&C welcome.

Camera Model: NIKON D200, tripod mounted
Shutter speed: 1/40 sec to 1/640 sec in 5 stops
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
Lens: 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D
Focal length: 120mm
Focal length: 180mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: MANUAL

Hilary Hann
05-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Things that really attract me to this image; the lifting clouds (or snow drift?) from the top of the mountains; the glimpse of the winding road, barely seen; the roiling clouds in the background and the detail in the foreground.

I do feel that the sky, as a whole, could have more intensity to it, it looks a little washed out but that could be the reality of these skies, and I would like to have seen more contrast where the sun strikes the foreground on those couple of ridges. It almost isn't very noticeable, whereas I think if it were made more obvious it would add character to the image.

A very beautiful scene, nonetheless.

Dave Mills
05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Dan, Nice light and well divided compositionally. The flowing clouds give alot of interest to the image and almost look like a continuation of the mountains. The road is a line taking you to the mountain but I would have liked to have seen more of it or none at all.
A potential crop could be right above your name...just an option...

Robert Amoruso
05-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Great Depth of Field Dan. I like the FG as it is elevated, sharp and kind of "steps off" into the valley and up again to the mountains. I agree the road is too little to act as a leading line in such a grand image. I would remove it.

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey Dan,
Interesting observations above. I really like Dave's idea of more of a pano with the bottom crop...and before road eviction.....you may try lightening/boosting some more contrast to FG as per Hilary's suggestions.....may work to give it more impact and not make road eviction necessary! Overall, still a very nice comp and I do like the blend as presented.....these minor tweaks may not work for you....but worth a shot just for comparison!

denise ippolito
05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Dan, This is a fantastic image. I love the snow covered mountains and the clouds sweeping across. I agree w/ a crop off the bottom. Very beautiful.:)

Dan Brown
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks all for the great comments! I will play with the image with the suggestions in mind.