PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Hot Springs

Michael Lloyd
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
I can't believe that I didn't post this last year but I couldn't find it. I shot this last November. It's a 3 frame stitch (CS4/5 rocks when it comes to stitching images together).

In two weeks I am headed to the Tetons and YSNP. I'll probably spend more time in the Tetons than YSNP. I have friends there and they have their spots to go plus there is a network in the area that is simply amazing to watch work. I've wanted to leave for two weeks but my real job has me tied down.

If you've never seen Mammoth hot springs it's... well... Mammoth!

EOS 1DsMK3 manual
70-200 f2.8L IS Handheld. Portrait orientation.

ISO 400
1/3200s@ f7.1

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Michael,
The stitch really shows how mammoth it really is! The light is good but I am debating the LH tree and more base. I'm starting to think the LH tree is ok but am feeling the need for a bit more base. Let's see what others chime in.

Have fun in the Tetons!!!....one of my favorite places.

Michael Lloyd
05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey Michael,
The stitch really shows how mammoth it really is! The light is good but I am debating the LH tree and more base. I'm starting to think the LH tree is ok but am feeling the need for a bit more base. Let's see what others chime in.

Have fun in the Tetons!!!....one of my favorite places.

Unfortunately, at that location, more base = highway :D The trees were my attempt at anchoring and giving a sense of scale.

The Tetons are going to be a blast. I've got some good friends that live in the area and they have been seeing grizz and black bear, with cubs. No shots yet. Wolves have been a no show but it's early. The little wildlife network that the people that live there have is amazing. I am pretty lucky to have the friends that I do.

Robert Amoruso
05-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Michael,

That is the problem I am having. My eye wanders around randomly. Impressive formation but not enough detail to capture my eye and I find the trees in the FG distracting.

Michael Lloyd
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
I have the full sized image on my big Apple screen. It's my background. On my monitor, I don't even notice the trees. I'm too busy perusing the steps and cracks in the formation. The image has depth and presence. Lack of detail isn't a problem in the full sized image. I really think that the itty bitty JPG that we have to post (rightfully so) kills an otherwise good image. I don't know what to do about that. You guys are reporting what you see and I don't disagree that what is posted here looks like a blob of color with some trees on it. I wish that you could see what I see...

When I finally print this one it will be a 24" x 36" print.

Michael Lloyd
05-17-2010, 08:41 PM
PS- I truly do appreciate and respect the expert critiques that I get here. I don't mean to come off as argumentative. It's frustrating to not be able to share the full extent of an image...

Dave Mills
05-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Hi Michael, beautiful light with good detail. I realize the problem getting more base but agree on it's need. I agree with Robert about the eye wandering. Could be a lack of a strong center of interest to anchor it on...