PDA

View Full Version : Time Out

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Captured this little hummer as he was taking a little time out to rest. Again this is an image taken with the five strobe lights.

Nikon D3
Nikon 500 mm F4
ISO 400
1/100, F16
manual

All comments are appreciated.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Good-looking bird, angle and setting. I would tone down the whites, try to get more details in the blacks and remove two of the three catchlights.

Ilija Dukovski
05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Excellent pose and eye contact with the bird,
good BG too, agree about toning down the plant and catch-lights.
Nicely placed in the frame. I like it.

Bruce Enns
05-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Beautiful image of a little jewel. Love the perch and background as well. Agree with Axel on the catchlights and the whites and blacks.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!
Bruce

Mike Milicia
05-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Gotta love that perch ... and everything else about this one!
Nicely done!

Whites and blacks look OK to me. Agree that fewer catchlights would be nice.

Mike Hickey
05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Great image. I am new here what's this about 5 strobes?
Mike

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Neat design. Loved the colors on the bird. The perch looks very bright but not sure how you could have avoided that. am not an expert in multi-flash setup. Thx for sharing this beauty.

Raymond Barlow
05-17-2010, 11:04 AM
very well done!! congrats!

Rich Steel
05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Hi Judy

A lovely simple, colourful and effective composition. Agree with the previous commments regarind whites and catchlights.

Cheers

Rich

Stephen Stephen
05-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Lovely sharp details on this image Judy. Nice pose and compistion as well. I agree with the earlier suggestions on the extra catchlights and the whites.

Stu Bowie
05-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Judy, I just love that green iridescence, and I like the comp. The other points have been mentioned, and only wish I could see one of these guys in the wild.

Joe Senzatimore
05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
One very well done and very different Hummer image. Some bright areas , but still a wonderful image.

Rod Warnock
05-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Judy! Like the iridescense , total composition and alertness of subject !! Thanks for showing.
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Peter Hawrylyshyn
05-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Judy
I love the composition, pose, HA, and details/sharpness of the HB. The heliconia species is also a personal favorite. The image shows your artistic talents

I agree about the extra catchlights and the whites being "hot" - - all the whites on the heliconia under the HB are registering 253-255 . Based on the colors of the HB, I don't think the issue here is the position of the flashes, but rather the exposure settings

Two quick suggestions for your next trip to CR:
-take some white Avery sticky labels and attach them to your flower to check f-stop at which the whites become over-exposed, then adjust settings accordingly based upon colors of HB
-i'd suggest avoiding a shutter speed of 1/100 , better to use 1/250 or 1/300. If needed, you can move the flashes in closer to the setup. At 1/100 you can get ghosting/blurring of the wings or ambient lighting can create problems for your setup.

Hope this helps

Greg Basco
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Judy, nice composition here. I agree about some of the suggestions, especially cloning the extra catchlights, which is always a necessary step for these images. The flower actually looks good as this variety (Sexy Pink) is quite a bright pastel as I'm sure you remember.

Peter -- Agree about your point but wanted to note that the 1/100 was necessary for Judy here because she was using a Canon transmitter on a Nikon body, and there is a delay with the sync; faster than 1/100 shutter speed and the flashes fire too late. In this location, ambient ghosting wasn't an issue because she was under cover, and the ambient light is usually very low.

Cheers,
Greg Basco