PDA

View Full Version : Toreador

Ricardo Rodriguez
05-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Got this Great Blue Heron at Shark Valley 3 weeks ago. As far as PP in PS, I started with a nearly full frame image, then added enough canvas to the right to place the eye smack dab in the middle of the frame. I felt a strong urge to do this with this image, notwithstanding the fact that I usually find it pleasing to position the eye according to the ROT (alas, to the point of chopping the bird's body to achieve it, if need be, as I did with my female anhinga of a few days ago). Perhaps this will serve as penance for that crime.

In my mind, the right grey feathers resemble the dress used by a toreador; hence the title.

Nikon D3S 70-200 + 2.0 TC (400mm), HH
1/400 f/5.6 ISO 3200 (sorry for the techs, but am still playing with testing the limits of this machine which, amazingly, appears to be holding strong on the noise front)
Viveza, Sharpener, NR

C&C welcome and appreciated

VinceRossi
05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Nice Shot. Even though I think it is a little shallow on the opcaity of the colors I really like how LITTLE noise you have for shooting at ISO 3200. (When I grow up I hope I can get a camera that will do so good with noise) LOL.

Peter Farrell
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Very nice, Ricardo. I like your composition but I may have gone for a little more room on the left. The eye is perfect and you got real nice details on the whites. I cant decide, either a bit more contrast or saturation on the Bird. BG looks real good.
Peter

Oscar Zangroniz
05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I also like the composition and details. Would also like to see a little more saturation on the bird, having said that I just realized that I'm looking at your pic on my laptop.
Regards,

Lance Peters
05-17-2010, 03:59 PM
hi ricardo - no worries with the d3s at 3200 iso - can push that baby even further :)
i quite like this as presented - different but works for me.
sharp as a tack were it needs to be - good bg.
I think some more contrast on the bird would give it that bit more separation from the BG.
Good one!!

Ricardo Rodriguez
05-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks, guys. Looks like the consensus calls for more contrast. Here is a repost in which I applied a Curves adjustment of the midtones in PS to increase contrast. Please let me know if this works better for you.

Thanks for the advice; appreciate it!