PDA

View Full Version : Enerald Lake

John Wilkerson
03-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Captured this Canadian Goose this early this morning. I lost the detail in the white of the hind end.
I also wasn't sure about the crop. I like the reflection.

5.6@1/250, iso 800, aperture priority
nikon 200-400 vr with 1.7 converter @550mm
Nikon D200

Craig Markham
03-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi John,
The satiny textures and colors on the water make this one special. I think you struck a good compromise between the dark shadow of the neck and the white hind end. The sun coming straight in from the right increased the contrast between the rear end highlight and the shadows on the neck and back. Maybe a fractional increase in exposure would have caught some texture in the tail, but that would have darkened the bird's neck and the background further.

All the best,
Craig

Harold Davis
03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
hi, john. you've got a beautiful canadian goose here. i think if you would crop a bit from the top, left and bottom it would make this a stronger composition.

Alfred Forns
03-02-2008, 12:37 AM
John you might try making a layer and multiplying. Then back down the opacity until the whites look fine to you. Then the rest of the image will look dark so you can brush away the other parts At times there is not enough information for this procedure

The only way to get those whites looking like they should is capturing the goose in softer light No substitute The dynamic range of the scene excess that you can capture.

Gus Cobos
03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Very nice Image John,
Love the composition and the colors, like the background and the reflection in the water. You might want to retouch the hot white in the tail..

I Like it. Big congrats...:D

Gus...:cool: