PDA

View Full Version : Lioness

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Ironic, shot Digitally, converted, then tweaked in some software to make it look like film? :confused:

Just finding my way around this new software addition and I really do think, (IMHO), it's great and at times offers another angle to an image. I know Morkel likes it and loves to experiment and am interested in his perception when using it on his images. I'm just playing safe.

Slightly toned with simulated Agfa AFX4 film applied. I liked the more contrasty effect, but have lightened it.

Taken in the Delta, this is a small strip of dry land used both by animal & Land Rover so no avoiding tyre tracks, plus it is softer under foot for the big cats as water is either side. They hate to get wet, apart from Harshads boys. ;)

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/1000 f/5.6 ISO400 HH, FF

Harshad Barve
05-17-2010, 03:12 AM
excellent walk in pose , nice eye contact and look at those shoulders but still I will love this in colors ;)

They hate to get wet, apart from Harshads boys. ;)

My boys and girls are having blast of time in waters :) and so I :D:D:D

Pingal Chanda
05-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Awesome shot Steve...... Eye contact make the image terrific

Ajit Huilgol
05-17-2010, 06:00 AM
I might be inclined to experiment with sepia tones, because of the lion's colour.

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2010, 06:07 AM
I did think about that Ajit, but felt it's just too 'old world' and that the slight 'yellow' was more in keeping, rather than the more reddish hue. Plus, I keep harping back to Beverly Joubert and her lions :)

Thanks
steve ;)

Hilary Hann
05-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Steve, needless to say that I think this is beautiful. Love the dirt kicked up by the front foot and the highlight on her eyebrow and shoulder. Takes it beyond another lion record shot into a more artistic form … for me anyway.

Rachel Hollander
05-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Steve - I really like this image and think the look conveys the power of the lioness. I agree the foot position and kicked up dirt add an element.

Rachel

Tom Graham
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Like a lot. Would probably work good no matter whether B&W, sepia, or color.
How did you get nice lowish perspective? 500mm and far away?
Tom

Steve Kaluski
05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
How did you get nice lowish perspective? 500mm and far away?

Tom, six shots rattle off as she walk towards me, fixed lens no more shots unless you want head & shoulders (FF as stated in OP) . Knowing where she was going to be was easy, as I said, because both sides were flanked by water. Therefore the hardest part was just to position the vehicle, simple...

LESSON 2:
...ensure you are positioned lower than your subject :)

Steve

Tom Graham
05-17-2010, 07:38 PM
"...ensure you are positioned lower than your subject"
But you actually weren't were you? I would guess your camera level was about 2 feet above her eye level? She also probably like walking down the vehicle track (which doesn't bother me at all).
Tom

Alfred Forns
05-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Good point Tom ... start from a strong image and can do just about anything :) Sweet perspective Steve, really like it !!!

Stu Bowie
05-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Hi Steve, perfect perspective. love the eye contact, together with the raised paw, and well done on creating something different.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Steve,
Good job in handholding. This is a good image. I like the perspective. The mud thrown up adds to the image. Thanks for sharing.

I have seen films of lions living in Okavango swamps, hunting buffalo herds. So I guess water should not be an issue for african lions.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi Sabyasachi, yes some do and some don't, I guess it all depends on how hungry they feel at the time and is it worth getting wet for? I think you are referring to the Duba Plains ones.

Steve

Egil Droge
05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I like the mud, contrast and her pose. But for me the image doesn't really work. I get too distracted by the washed out white on left hip, and when I start looking around see tyre tracks.
Sorry Steve, just my own 2 cents.

Morkel Erasmus
05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
only getting to this one now Steve :)
love the head-on angle and dirt kicked up...I do wish the fall of light was somewhat on her face, that would've given you a lot more options with monotone (like that rhino of mine, which is not everyone's cuppa but I do dig it).

are you using Nik Silver Efex?
do you mind posting the original colour version so I can have a whack at it?

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi Morkel, here you go.

The reason for going this route was two fold:

A. the sharpness wasn't quite there, focus was below the eyes and one I would bin normally
B. the harsh light really did not lend itself and isn't a great shot (about 11.30am), so option for B/W with additional grain I thought would be a good route to go?

This is almost direct from camera, not one of my greatest, LOL. Do I have any?

And yes I am :D

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-19-2010, 11:38 AM
thanks Steve...
here's my humble attempt...wanted to focus attention on her features so went for high-key around her.

what do you think?

Steve Kaluski
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Does punch it a bit, but guess it's the trade off to having the high whites?

Nice to have someone have a stab on one of my images, thanks Morkel. ;)

Cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
05-19-2010, 01:40 PM
pleasure and an honour :)

Steve Kaluski
05-19-2010, 02:04 PM
LOL Morkel :D:D:D:D

Morkel Erasmus
05-19-2010, 04:54 PM
LOL Morkel :D:D:D:D

why, pray tell? :)