PDA

View Full Version : NA Red Squirrel

John Chardine
03-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Our Red Squirrel is quite common and a real nuisance if you feed birds. It is not generally known that this species is an important predator of bird eggs and chicks, and you don't want them to get in your house! This image was captured at Little Shimogue, New Brunswick on 24 February 2008.

40D, 100-400mm @ 400mm, 1/160s, F7.1, ISO 640. Crop and turn 90° CW, fill flash

Steve Maxson
03-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Nice head portrait well lit by the flash, and a good head angle. My eye tends to be drawn to the out-of-focus areas in the foreground. The squirrel's eye has a "flashed" look to it that you could fix in PS. Evidently, I find red squirrels more appealing critters than you do. At our house, we feed red squirrels - if the birds get some of the food, we don't object. We have some of them eating out of our hand. Of all the squirrels I have seen over the years, red squirrels have, by far, the most personality. I agree that they eat eggs and chicks - as do a lot of other rodents, and birds, for that matter. :)

Michael Borcherds
03-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Sharp with good detail & enjoy the OOF BG - ditto on the foreground

Steve Canuel
03-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Nice, sharp portrait with a complimentary colored BG. I agree with the other comments about the FG. Personal taste comment, I'd like to see more of him or have him doing something a bit more interesting (maybe eating a bird egg or sneaking into your house?)
Steve

D. Robert Franz
03-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Fine sharp portrait.. I agree with the FG comments. A bit more room on top might help as well.