PDA

View Full Version : Closeup cowslip

Steve Adkins
05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Greetings from a newby... Just experimenting with a PB4 bellows and 55mm on D700.
Not sure what magnification. Maybe 2-3x ??
Natural light.
HDR in CS5 of 6 exposures/Crop
All C&C welcome.
I am enjoying all the amazing images here. Especially appreciate your technique reveals!

Julie Kenward
05-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Hello, Steve, welcome to the macro forum! I downloaded the image and did a 90 degree CW rotation so I could evaluate the image better. Seeing things turned sideways always throws me off.

First, I like the comp and the clarity of the image is excellent. You have, however, clipped those yellow something terrible. Take a look at your colored histogram and you'll see the yellows are spiking off the right side. The evidence is plain to see on the ends of the stamen - you're losing lots of detail there.

If you processed this in RAW format, take it back in and bring those yellows under control and then see what you think of the revised version. Everything else is definitely there - you're just hot in the yellow channel.

Nick Palmieri
05-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Like what you are going for here Steve. Agree that the yellows are blown out . I think the bottom left is bright and distracting and would be improved if you tone down the yellows. TFS.

Steve Adkins
05-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Julie and Nick, In lightroom for this version I increased recovery and decreased yellow saturation and brushed a decrease in exposure to the bottom left. Is this a good way to "cool" the yellows? Thanks for your help!

Mike Moats
05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey Steve, a big welcome to the BPN macro forum. Gald you joined in. I think you decreased the yellows, but the overall feel of the image looks on the dark side like it needs more light. I like the idea and nice focus point and DOF.

Ken Childs
05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey Steve, I like the flower and comp but I think this would have turned out better with just one good exposure instead of using HDR. The yellows and those fluorescent green spots just don't look natural to me.

This shot might work better in the OOTB forum. :)

Steve Adkins
05-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Mike, Thanks for your comments, I am going to study the originals and maybe take a different approach. Need to figure out how to lighten and not have the OOF areas appear blown out.
BTW, I have really enjoyed your book and the recent OP article. Inspiring!
Ken, I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the original post. Better suited in OOTB:)

Jerry van Dijk
05-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi Steve, although the original post shows less detail, I like the somewhat oversaturated yellows a lot. I think its good to indeed step OOTB every now and again and sacrifice detail for a little impact!

Bob Miller
05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi Steve...Like the original post better...I think I would just decrease the exposure on the bottom left as your repost!

Steve Adkins
05-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Jerry and Bob,
The best part of this process is how it pushes me to learn CS5.
Now, I know just enough to be dangerous :D
Thanks for your vision and comments!

Anita Bower
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I love that you got in close and filled the frame with this flower. The colors and light are lovely. I would like the focus to be a bit more to the front or a little wider, so those front-center anthers were in focus.
Welcome to this forum! I find the photographers here to be most helpful with suggestions and techniques---and all in a kind manner.

Steve Adkins
05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks Anita, I am very much enjoyings the experience! Wonderful variety of viewpoints.