PDA

View Full Version : Caracara Rainy Story

sulasula
05-16-2010, 03:15 PM
http://www.sulasula.com/images/birdphoto/caracara.jpg

Canon EOS 50D, Canon EF 400/5.6, ISO 1250, f 5.6, 1/200s

I would like to explain the circumstances of this rainy picture. I hope you will understand my basic English :p
Well. I have been on my third trip to Belize and I spend even 2 weeks in Florida. I was the coldest phototrip ever. Everynight cold in Belize changed the behavior of Iguanas along the rivers. After my arriving to Florida there was also cold. Last 2 days of my trip continuously rain. I was thinking twice before I leave the hotel. Sudenly I decided to visit the Viera Wetlands though very havy rain.

After my arive, there was scene like from Holywood movie. I have seen adult Crested Caracara staying on Common Moorhen. Moorhen tryed to defense and she was successful. Caracara is good runner and it starts the rush around small bush. Moorhen still escaped and it seems she alive. BUT. From nearby tree second Caracara landed. Moorhen escapes from bush hide and run across the road. Adult Caracara felt this is the chance and quickly run. After few minutes the Moorhen was killed.

Then the second, semiadult, Caracara walked to dead Moorhen, catch the bill and took it out of the road. Adult one flew at nearby tree and observed heavy raining baquet. I was 110% sattisfied and I have confirmed there is no bad weather.

It is long story but I feel it could be interesting for you.
Enjoy every weather! Comments are welcome.

PETR BAMBOUSEK | WWW.SULASULA.COM (http://WWW.SULASULA.COM)

Jeff Parker
05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Cool story. You wouldn't have seen the action if you had stayed at the hotel.

I have not seen Caracaras kill anything. I saw a couple messing with a Softshell Turtle, but they lost interest after a few minutes.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Interesting story behind this dramatic capture. I like the sharpness and soft light and only wish you would have been a bit further to your right.

Daniel Cadieux
05-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the story, Petr. Enjoyable to read and really puts the image into context. I love it. The damp rainy weather goes well with the sombre mood of the image. Do you have a bit more room at right (for the clipped moorhen)?