PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl Fledging

Andrew Merwin
05-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I shot this image in the westering sun. The great horned owl is so ferocious that it is nicknamed the "tiger owl."
It is nearly full frame with only a small crop from the LHS. I sharpened the image & very slightly saturated it. This is pretty much how it came out of the camera.
Andrew

Mrk3, tripod, ISO 400, 500mm+1.4x, 0.67EV, f/6.3, 1/125

Stu Bowie
05-16-2010, 09:29 AM
The owl is pretty much camoflauged in the image. His fur merges with the BG on the left, and the top of head with the tree on the right. Good eye contact, and feel another round of sharpening will make him pop.

Randy Stout
05-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Andrew:'

Nicely captured as clean shots of owls always a challenge. I think his camo is pretty impressive. Like the talons peeking out. Good shooting angle for an owl picture! Well exposed.
I might consider sharpening the eyes, since with all the blending colors, they really dominate the image.

Cheer

Randy

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi Andrew

IMHO I think this is your best image to date, agree on the comments above, however if you get the opportunity to do this again, try putting the focus point on the 'clearest' eye and if the light is good aim at about f/9, but watch your SS!!! Happy with crop :) Good to see the use of a tripod, LOL.

Good luck Andrew.

Steve;)

Andrew Merwin
05-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks Steve & Randy. I appreciate your input.

denise ippolito
05-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Andrew, Very nice capture! The details and exposure look great. I agree w/ Randy regarding another round on the eyes. I love the pose w/ the inclusion of the habitat. Well done.:)