PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Flower

Ramesh Adkoli
05-16-2010, 04:54 AM
The way this butterfly sat on the plant it looked like its flower.Appreciate your views and comments.

D700, 105mm Micro VR, 1/60s, f/16, ISO 400, tripod mount, early morning
CNX2, minor exposure adjustment, curves and levels, local contrast enhancement, full frame

regards,
ramesh

Julie Kenward
05-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Ramesh, what a beautiful Buckeye! You've got nice placement and good details. I do think there's more room on the left than you really need. I also think pulling the exposure down just a bit more would help. I realize this is a morning image but it does feel a little washed out. Try a levels "auto" adjustment and see what it does (if you have Photoshop).

Ken Childs
05-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Ramesh, this is a very beautiful "flower". I agree with Jules that it looks a bit washed out but that's an easy fix with levels, brightness and contrast adjustments. I also think a slight CCW rotation and a tighter crop on all sides could help make this beauty look even better.

I'm guessing this is a Junonia species of some sort.

Ken Childs
05-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Some quick research found that this is probably a Peacock Pansy, Junonia almana, so it's even named after a flower. :)

Ramesh Adkoli
05-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot, Julie and Ken for your inputs. Reworked the image a bit based on your suggestions: pulled back the exposure by 1/3rd stop, rotated it by 3 degrees CCW and cropped it all around. I wasn't that please with the crop as i felt it cramped the butterfly a bit. Would love to know your views.

regards,
ramesh

Ramesh Adkoli
05-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Here is another take on the crop: this was my daughter's suggestion. I felt it turned out better than the earlier one. Also, pulled back the exposure by 1/2 stop from OP.

regards,
ramesh

Julie Kenward
05-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Ramesh, I like the reposts but don't see much difference between them crop-wise. What's different between #2 & #3?

I do like the exposure better - it really grounds him in his surroundings now.

Ken Childs
05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Ramesh, I like the first of your reposts best. I don't see the need to have that extra space on the left that's in the second repost.

Ramesh Adkoli
05-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Julie, as Ken mentioned, a little additional space on the left is the diff between #2 (squarish) and #3 (panoramic). Ken, i felt by adding that little space, it offset the butterfly better. I guess, both have their strengths and are definitely better than the OP. Thanks again to you both for your valuable inputs.

regards,
ramesh