PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird ID?

Bill Dix
05-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I caught this fellow taking a bath on top of a fountain in a public plaza in Quito, Ecuador last week. I know there are over 100 hummer species in Ecuador, and I have no idea what this is. Looking at images obtained from a Google search, the closest seems to be the Sparkling Violetear, but if anyone knows their Ecuadorian hummers I would appreciate an ID so I can label the image. Thanks.

John Chardine
05-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Not knowing some of the species is the price you pay for going to such a fabulous place Bill!

I'm sure someone can help out here.

Dan Brown
05-15-2010, 07:51 PM
My guess is a male Green Violet-ear. I don't know if they are found in Equador though. A drinker! nice behavior shot!

Chris Sloan
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
It is a Sparkling Violetear. They are quite common in Quito. The easy way to tell the difference is the throat - in Sparkling, the blue from the auricular comes up under the chin, and it doesn't in Green.

Bill Dix
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
It is a Sparkling Violetear. They are quite common in Quito. The easy way to tell the difference is the throat - in Sparkling, the blue from the auricular comes up under the chin, and it doesn't in Green.

Thank you Chris. I knew someone would have an answer. This fellow did seem quite at home among the fountains and flowers of Independence Plaza. Unfortunately in the limited time I was there I was unable to capture him on a flower. Appreciate the info.